Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my T-Cross right before the pandemic started in the UK and took delivery of it in late July 2020. I think it’s fair to say that with the subsequent lock downs and such it didn’t get a lot of use for another few months. Fast forward to now and I’ve come to the conclusion that although it’s a good car, I don’t love it.

So with a bit of luck my local VW dealership contacted me suggesting that due to current used prices I could have a fair chunk of equity left in it. The up-shot is they’ve offered me only £1000 less than what I paid for it. Not wanting any of the cars they had in stock we struck a deal for a factory order of a Golf GTE. This is where the long goodbye comes in, the lead time is 40+ weeks. I don’t actually mind this though, it puts me at a point where I would be considering changing anyway. I’ve had a few GTIs and a Scirocco previously , the T-Cross for me just doesn’t really do it.

it was interesting how the pandemic has hastened the digitalisation of car buying. I was in and out of there in about an hour. No paper forms to sign, there wasn’t even any of the classic “I’ll just leave you here for a few minutes whilst I go and talk to my manager” kind of thing. I think going armed with CarWow quotes helps, seems to shortcut the whole negotiation part of the process.

I just need to settle back and relax now, and try not to keep looking at the VW car Configurator to see whether I’ve made the right choices!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have pretty much the same story. Bought the Cross before the lockdown in March 2020 (factory order) and was lucky that VW had the exact spec/colour car in stock in the country so delivery was very quick (1 week). Got a good deal also because I went it with Carwow quotes and dealer matched it and beat it by a few hundred £. Pretty much bought most of my cars this way, saves me from haggling with the dealer. Had two MK7 GTIs before the Cross and same as you, it is a good daily/work commute/ shopping car but that's about it, don't love it but don't hate it either. With working from home most of the days my wife drives it, I only drive it to work when weather is very bad and I can't be asked to take the RS out of the garage. I'll probably keep it for another year and swap it for an Arteon shooting brake, I really like that car.

Reactions: MPRTroc

·
Registered
88 Posts
It proves how imporant it is to do your research.
Timing may help, some say for a dealer to achieve their sales targets the nearer the end of the month, Calendar year, or financial year may be good.
I used CarWow mid December, and the best that came back for a Taigo R Line was the full price less the £500 deposit contribution. Not surprising given it has only just come on the market, and the chip shortage ect.
When I got the same offer from my local dealer I told him I expected that, and showed him where I had written it down in advance.
So it hinged on the trade in, preparation is key, I had written estimates from We Buy any Car, (the lowest) Parker’s (the highest), and a couple of others.
I got a further £800 more than their first offer, plus some other bits and pieces. This was split between a discount on the Taigo, and an increase on my Trade in.
He did try and say how Parker’s arrive at their figures, I think it considers private sales / Commercial sales / Auction prices.
Given the trade in value is set, I’m happy to wait until the new car arrives.
Perhaps I went too quickly, but I was uncertain about the lead time, and wanted to change before my T Cross was 3 years old and is still under warranty. I also avoid paying out for another service.
Still wondering if I could have done better…

1 - 3 of 3 Posts