Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my T-Cross (United auto) yesterday, really pleased with it (apart from the 'SOS: call workshop' message which is apparently a software glitch). But anyway, I'm considering getting the seats reupholstered in leather (for about £1,600) as I don't much like the fabric seats (and my last car was leather). Any thoughts on whether this is a bad (or good) idea, please? Thanks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sounds an interesting idea but quite a lot of money..!...if you intend to keep the car long term then ok., but if you were to change it in 2 or 3 years you are unlikely to get your money back... At the end of the day, it's your choice.. Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the fabric seats are good looking and really comfy but that's really a personal judgement. I agree with Halin9 , depends how you measure "bad or good idea". If you are looking to get a return on your money then, no it's a bad idea - this is not a premium car , your resale value will not reflect your leather investment. If you are measuring "good or bad" by how it makes you feel and if you can afford it then yes it's a good idea. Would you get it done professionally or are you looking for standard off the shelf cover slips? If money was no object the dash cover would look good in a nice soft leather - just a thought . On second thought that may actually adversely affect your resale especially if you trade it in at a dealer :(

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had my Alfa GTV reupholstered in leather through the dealer when it was new - it went to Stratstones to have it done and it looked almost like the genuine Alfa leather finish, even including the Alfa log on the back of the seat backs.

However when I came to trade it in, the dealer (ironically the same dealership but a different branch) said that having third party leather seats in it would result in a lower part-ex than if it just had the standard cloth seats. Needless to say I went elsewhere - as others have said if you intend to keep the car for a while and want leather then go for it, but its probably not a return on investment for the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots of very helpful responses there, thank you, and hadn't factored in the job might de-value the car long-term. Planning to keep it for five years+ (into retirement), so will mull carefully. Thanks again.

G

·
I had the same when I attempted to trade in an Audi which I had the seats upholstered to leather.
The dealer tried to reduce the trade in price as the car was not original.
I sold the car to a private buyer to get more money for the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts