Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I turn off lane assist in my wifes First Edition T-cross....when we get back in, its automatically turned back on.

We've tried turning it off on the main display and also on the interactive dash display......but either way, when we next get in the car, its turned back on!

We can turn it off in my Tiguan and it stays off.

Anyone elses keep turning itself back on?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Kugaman said:
Anyone elses keep turning itself back on?
Yep, mine does every time too..

I think it is classed as a safety feature, so the car insists on switching it back on.

I always disable mine on every journey as it is horrible, I hate it, feels a bit like a flat tyre at times !!

I think you can probably use VCDS to do something, but not sure, probably invalidates some warranty somewhere if you have a play !!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I thought as much....thanks greycross.

Glad it not just er indoors car that does this!

Its odd how it can be disabled on the Tiguan tho! My Tiguan is slightly newer than her T Cross, although the T Cross is a newer design I suppose.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also want to turn this off permanently, surely there's got to be a way - its so annoying that it resets itself after turning the ignition off!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think as greycross says, it will be doable with vcds or so ething but thats about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Havent seen any posts about VCDS on this forum - the Briskoda forum I used for my Yeti had a lot of activity about VCDS and members who would help.
Is VCDS just not used by VW owners ?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used an elm plug with carista on a week pass to change a few things on a 6r polo a few years ago.
T cross dosent look supported yet so not sure what we'd have access to.

Is vcds similar?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Think of VCDS as a VW group advanced ODB2. A dealer can do all kinds of stuff. You can get VCDS software on the net but if you do, be careful, you can mangle stuff really easily. I used to be a software engineer and though I knew what I was doing. Nope, reversed my changes and not going near it again 😉

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im acutally taking my T-cross back to my dealer tomorrow - and this one of the issues I have. I must be able to deactivate the feature. Its so annoying when driving a straight highway and keep getting the message "Take charge of steering" when I'm actually in control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dear all,

I will collect the the T-cross high line plus in 3 days!

I wonder if this line assit has been somehow solved? Anyone has an update this?

Rgs
Jes

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's a great asset on the motorway - particularly if you remember to signal when changing lane. But around town and on country roads it's a nuisance. Easy to turn off though - hit the wobbly car button on the left side of steering wheel followed by hitting OK on the right side.

A great drive and loving it

·
Registered
57 Posts
On most country roads without any white lines it does not seem to activate.
But when it does especially on narrow rougher roads it is a pain and quite scary at first.

·
Registered
412 Posts
OK, so couple of months back I tried to turn this off via ODBEleven, and then got stuck as I couldn't reverse the change. I know maybe I shouldn't have played, I just expected that as in the past it'll either not let me change it, or if I can change a setting then I can revert the setting.

So, I made a change to module 09, changing rear lights to DRL, which worked fine, and during which I entered the access code 31347. All this was fine, set rear left and right lights to daytime running no problem.

Then went searching to see if I could disable lane keeping. Misses (who's car it is) is also not that keen on it, and from the user interface it can only be disabled per drive. Switch the ignition off and on and it's back.

So, found it in module 44 steering assist, under long coding, Lane assist enabled, go into change it and set it to disabled. Enter to save the change and IT DID IT. It didn't ask for a separate access code. So ignition off, then on, and yes it's disabled it, but I then got a warning pop up. Ok, warning goes away after 10-20 seconds, but you still have a permanent yellow alert icon.

So I went back in and go through the same process to turn it off again, only (possibly because I've cycled the ignition) it asks for access code. I enter 31347 again at which point it says invalid code and don't let me change the setting.
Tried this a couple more times and now I get the aforementioned "Login not possible, lock time not yet elapsed".

Since then I've scoured the net and have found several references to module 44, all confirming Module 44 - Assisted steering - Code (19249). Trouble is I was stuck with the warning until the lock time expired, which turned out to be driving the car for a considerable time.

So, yes it can be disabled, yes I have the correct access codes, but I need somewhere else to tell the car it's not a problem being disabled. Haven't investigated further as didn't want to push my luck with the misses :)

Tricky

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well done tricky, you seem to have got further than anyone else.

I'm asking the carista lot to get going on the T cross.....they've done little or nothing so far!

·
Registered
412 Posts
BREAKTHROUGH!!

OBDeleven has apps which are pre programmed coding, checked the latest out as I saw on the T-Roc forum they had one to disable lane assist, and there's one (well two actually) for the Cross!

Basically it allows you to set the behaviour to always default to ON (as from factory) or default to OFF, or MEMORY i.e. remember last setting, so if you turn it off, next tine you start up it is still off. This is what I've done and it works. This also means that without it trying to do the steering, no more 'take over steering' PITA messages :)

I said there are 2 apps, one, up front says 'Lane Assist Memory 2021' I was too enthusiastic and went for this on my 2020 Cross, and it did nothing. Then I found further down 'Lane Assist Memory' this one worked for me.

Now as it's an app, it's available with the most basic OBDeleven, and easy to set. There are lots of other apps, doing all sorts such as
Scandinavian DRL (be k lights on as well)
Auto main beam
Dials celebration (they do a fancy spin round to max display on startup)
And lots more. The apps need 10 credits each, you get some when you buy the device, and you can buy more, or earn more every time you open the app or by watching boring videos.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I find lane assist the most and probably only annoying feature of my T-Cross and I hate it. I try to remember every time I switch the ignition on to disable it, but obviously forget sometimes and end up doing it when I am driving…… I had to look up what OBDeleven was as I am not a geek and tend to just take the car as it comes! The thought of playing with the diagnostics system is not something I would entertain, being a simple person!!

Interesting to know it can be done though, I know it is a safety feature but safe one too many as far as I am concerned but unless the dealership would disable it, which I am guessing they could but wouldn't be willing to, I will have to stick with perpetually switching it off. Does accessing the diagnostics yourself invalidate the warranty as I am guessing main dealers on plugging in can see the system has been accessed and when? Just wondered.

Would love to get rid of the feature though…&#x1f926-2640;

·
Registered
412 Posts
I understand the hesitancy. Using manual coding, yes you can go wrong, but using the app mode is not much different from changing settings on the screen. You need preferably an android device (though the newer devices also support i/pac/phone) you load the app, connect to the device, the socket is by your right knee, scroll through the app and set it. Totally risk free.

Believe me, the dealers do not plug in and check what coding has been changed. I had coding added for many years on my Tiguan, and shortly after having the Cross added several features including the auto headlights (which is a chargable extra from VW). never had a comment, and had a couple of items fix on the Tig under extended warrantee without comment.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just playing devils advocate here (and being a bit of a temporary wet blanket), as annoying as the lane assist can be for some people, your insurance premium is based on the perceived risk for the insurance company and part of what lowers that risk are the safety aids that come with the car.

Whether or not Lane Assist actually aids in keeping the car safe is irrelevant to the discussion as long as your particular insurance company considers it to be.

I wouldn't put it past any insurance company to request a OBD reading from the smash repairs/mechanic in the event of a policy claim to determine the state of the car before the crash. It might be worth a close read of your insurance policy to check whether or not permanently disabling any safety aids (as opposed to temporarily turning them off) invalidate or negates your policy.

Whether it does or does not, and whether you can live with it or not, is of course totally up to each individual driver and their policy.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Def wet blanket :) I can't see any insurance company going to that much trouble unless there was a clear case of dangerous driving and causing deaths. In those instances the police would be doing the investigation, there've been several excellent programs over here detailing the level of examination they go to with cases like that.

As to the opposite case, around us we have many farms, with big farm machinery, and narrow welsh lanes. On more than one occasion recently my wife has been driving the opposite direction from one of these, which was hanging well over the centre line, and she's moved right to the kerb to avoid it, only for big brother to try to push her back to the middle of the road. What would the insurance company do about that? I was avoiding it but the lane keeping pushed me back into the harvester!

Since I've changed the setting (bear in mind i've not disabled it, just set it so it remembers the last setting so it can be turned on just as you normally turn it off) she's much happier that SHE'S controlling the car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts