Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 3 year MOT for 6050 miles. Car passed with the comment that all 4 Hankook tyres may need renewal by end of year. Tyres perishing centre of tread possibly caused by car standing idle for long periods during Covid. Anyone else experience this? This could prove extremely expensive.

T Cross R line.
1 Ltr, DSG.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Crikey, that’s a bit worrying.! I guess lots of us have low mileage due to Covid etc..could be even lower now with current petrol prices.!
Mine will be 3 years old in July and, so far, has done 10500..miles. Mine are Pirelli tyres, hopefully better than yours.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just had my 3 year MOT for 6050 miles. Car passed with the comment that all 4 Hankook tyres may need renewal by end of year. Tyres perishing centre of tread possibly caused by car standing idle for long periods during Covid. Anyone else experience this? This could prove extremely expensive.

T Cross R line.
1 Ltr, DSG.
It's a long time for tyres to stand still and, combined with low mileage it's possible that they are correct in their assessment. I would be inclined to contact the tyre manufacturers and seek their response. It is not a VW fault, but you could also ask your dealer to give feedback/complaints to the tyre company. Cheers-John

Reactions: Halin9

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
380 Posts
I have Hankooks, 2 and a half years old with 8,300 miles, slight cracking at edge tread but rest seems OK. Car is not garaged.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not as uncommon as you may think, apparently tyres like movement to keep the rubber compounds supple. Saw a thread about it on another forum a while back. Caravan tyres are known for it as they tend to spend long periods without moving.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's quite common for tyres to develop flat spots if car is not moved for a long time. You can feel the car hop the first time you drive it after a long stand still. I usually use tyre cushions when I garage the car over the winter and stays still for weeks. They keep the round shape of the tyre and spread the weight of the car evenly across the tyre circumference.

Reactions: AussieJohn
1 - 6 of 6 Posts