Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Kevin, the owners manual, in Australia at least , demands 95 octane -no arguments. My R Line T Cross is due on 18.9.2020 and I will be using 98 octane. I believe that you are risking engine damage. Read different internet articles on the VW 3 cylinder engine and it's fuel requirements. Cheers- John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Always use what it says on the fuel cap and in the manual which on the T-Cross it's 95 RON. Unless you have a sports car which requires high octane then you will not notice any difference or gains from it. The small engine timing and injection map is not set to take advantage of the higher octane rating. My 1l SEL has always seen Tesco 95 RON and no problems at all. I use Tesco Momentum 99 RON in my RS Trophy but that is a different beast.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The issue with the higher octane fuel requirement is that apart from the high compression ratio of 10.5 to 1, the fuel is delivered by direct injection i.e straight into the combustion chamber. This allows higher carbon buildup on the valves and inlet tract. A fuel with superior cleansing properties is required other wise you will have carbon buildup affecting performance and economy, and perhaps shorten engine life. -Cheers John.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to harp on this Kevin , but I don't want to see you have engine damage by using a lower spec fuel. Click on this link and read the article through to the end. It is a great little engine , it just needs the right fuel to drink. Cheers-John https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=130

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys well I'm pretty sure Esso unleaded is 95 Ron and I think super is 97 or98 . So as I understand from your helpful comments I'm ok to stick with standard 95 Ron unleaded ?

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
The confusion here is different countries rate their regular and super differently. In the UK regular is 95 RON which is all the engine requires. The article actually refers to super as 95 RON which would suggest together with the spelling of liter, that it's not UK or European, US or antipodean?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi All, Seems to be all sorted ; in Australia our regular unleaded is 91 Octane rising to 95 and then 98 octane. As well we have E10 i.e 10% Ethanol mix. I wrongly assumed that you guys ran the same. Cheers-John

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have just been driving a VW 1.0l 115 Polo for the last 2 years (just changing to a T-Cross tomorrow). Its the same engine as in the t-cross. In the uk without any doubt its the standard unleaded 95 RON. I usually fill up at Tesco so one in a while I put a tank of shell in to help keep the engine clean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.