Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I wonder if anyone can help me . I've purchased a new t cross sel and it comes with 3 years we connect free. I thought (naively) that the security and guide and inform were on it . It turns out only guide and inform is . Talking to Vw customer service they say it should have been specified when ordered as an optional extra (I can find no op extra for this ) anyway my dealership has agreed to send ma a data plug for we connect go. My questions are is this as good as we connect plus in terms of information , can you use both we connect and we connect go on your car at same time and as it's Bluetooth connected has anyone had any issues with connectivity ?
Any help would be appreciated
Many thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I collected my T Cross I asked for the Data plug, but was told I didn't need it as it already had Car net installed.
I wrongly thought the 36 month's subscription came with an embedded sim,
I knew how to use the hot spot on my phone, but let my dealer set it up for me.
It was a bit hit and miss, my main wish was for live traffic news so I persevered with it.
Then realised it was more to do with my iPhone SE, the hot spot had to be toggled off and on again every time I took the ignition key out., (it's an Apple thing).
I have copied what the lads on the Tiguan forum have done and purchased a Huawei E8372 Wingle (an upmarket dongle) with a cheap 3 data only sim from Amazon. I used a short usb lead plugged into a USB adapter fitted to the 12v socket next to the gear-lever. I suspect it would work directly going into the usb socket but a message came up saying it was trying to read it, and I suspected it thought it was the VW car stick.(£149)
Anyway, I got it working perfectly, came on and off with the ignition as the Wingle only needs power.
Then the car went back into the dealer to rectify a rattle and they plugged in their diagnostics and I struggle to re connect the Wingle.
The answer was as a one off to connect to my home wi fi whilst on my drive, drive off and somehow it automatically picks up the Wingle,
Now I can have the info screen permanently showing Live traffic, and the Car net works as well.
That's about the extent of my novice knowledge, Tricky2 is a mine of information and I'm sure he can help further if need be.
Good luck

·
Registered
414 Posts
And right on cue... :)

Yes, the salesmen are very bad at differentiating that the Cross doesn't have full carnet, only guide and Inform, pretty useless. I've got the WeConnect Go dongle, both on the Cross and my Tiggy. First thing I discovered is you can't connect to both with the same phone! It's OK, gives you milage, range and service reminders. It tracks your journeys though the fuel calculator doesn't give MPG, rather a cost, based on what I'm not sure.

Bluetooth connectivity is no issue, the phone (android) connects happily to both the dongle and the car phone connection. Also as the carnet is wifi that also works, though I've only occasionally used it via a hotspot on the phone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks tricky 2
so you can download both apps but only use one at a time.or do you have to uninstall we connec to use we connect go?
sorry if im being a bit dim but im 67 and this car technology is a new thing!
does we connect go give you the vehicle parking location as we connect guide and inform doesnt ?
many thanks
kevin

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes, no :)

Yes both can be installed at the same time, one connects via the internet through VW, the other's local via Bluetooth.

No the Bluetooth we connect go (what s catchy name :) ) doesn't give you the parking location. Though as it's logged the trips, provided it's getting GPS from the phone it should tell you where the last trip finished, so i guess you can use that.

P.S i'm also 67, snap!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers tricky2 ! all i gotta do now is get over this dodgy back and drive the car! frustrating its sitting outside for a week with 17 miles on it and im unable to drive it !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tricky2 said:

Yes both can be installed at the same time, one connects via the internet through VW, the other's local via Bluetooth.

No the Bluetooth we connect go (what s catchy name :) ) doesn't give you the parking location. Though as it's logged the trips, provided it's getting GPS from the phone it should tell you where the last trip finished, so i guess you can use that.

P.S i'm also 67, snap!
The Bluetooth data plug we connect go does display parking location and will use the phone gps map to get you there if you want. I think in one of the latest updates they hid it from the main screen but if you scroll to the bottom of the page and press add functions you can toggle screens on and of and one of them is parking location

·
Registered
71 Posts
Man... why do you guys get all the good toys! Australian T-Crosses (T-Crossi?) don't get access to these features at all, no app connections that I know of here.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Alphabrimble said:
Tricky2 said:

P.S i'm also 67, snap!
The Bluetooth data plug we connect go does display parking location and will use the phone gps map to get you there if you want. I think in one of the latest updates they hid it from the main screen but if you scroll to the bottom of the page and press add functions you can toggle screens on and of and one of them is parking location
Never too old to learn. Thanks for pointing that out :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update
dealer has not got any data plugs as they assumed they wouldnt be needed as all cars have we connect..........zzzzz
they have some on order and will send when available(yawn)

·
Registered
57 Posts
re USB socket and data connect message, you can get " charge only" USB leads which will stop this happening or use the USB sockets in the back of the arm rest.
"Three" mobile do a FREE 200MB data per month SIM, doesnt seem easy to find from their shop but here is the link: https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order
Warning set it up exactly according to their instructions ,and unlocked phone makes it easier ; I tried to short cut them and lost the free 200MB per month data on my first attempt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts