Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I finally got round to fitting my dash cam in my T-Cross today..

Can anyone help with the fuse board ?

The manual says on right hand drive cars it is up behind the glove box, which is accessed by releasing the damper thing which stops it opening too far. Well I have tried to release the plastic damper thing but it will not move.

So before I break it, I thought I would ask if anyone else has accessed the fuse board on a right hand drive car ?

Interesting that on left hand drive cars it is under the panel below the steering wheel !!

I would of thought it would be easily accessible, but maybe as the car is new it is just a bit tight ?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have wired my camera to the fuse box, to the right of the steering column. Quite easy to access and wires can be run behind screen/door trims.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VWJohn said:
I have wired my camera to the fuse box, to the right of the steering column. Quite easy to access and wires can be run behind screen/door trims.
Is that a right hand drive car (i.e. UK spec) ??

Are you saying that the fuse board is to the right of the steering column and not behind the glove box as clearly stated in the manual and the images I posted above ??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, it's a UK spec car and there is a fuse box to the right of the steering column, accessed via a panel in the lower dash, very similar to that in your copy of the page from the manual, but on the opposite side. There is also an end panel on the dash, accessible when the door is open to facilitate better access, to enable wiring to be installed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
VWJohn said:
Yes, it's a UK spec car and there is a fuse box to the right of the steering column, accessed via a panel in the lower dash, very similar to that in your copy of the page from the manual, but on the opposite side. There is also an end panel on the dash, accessible when the door is open to facilitate better access, to enable wiring to be installed.
Sounds similar to the yeti then. That has a fuse box accessed via a panel on the side. Which fuse did you piggy back off?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VWJohn said:
So the manual is wrong then !!!

So the fuse box is not behind the glove box on right hand cars as stated :cry:

That will be why I have been struggling to release the glove box damper like stated in the manual, it probably doesn't come off.

A right pain as I have already installed my dash cam on the passenger side and run the wires behind the A-Pillar trim and into the passenger footwell !! It was just the last bit of accessing the fuse board behind the glove box that I was struggling with..

So todays job is remove it all again and install on the other side :roll:

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
greycross said:
So the manual is wrong then !!!
So the fuse box is not behind the glove box on right hand cars as stated :cry:
Well I have just had a look again, this time drivers side (right)...

I still can't get the trim panel off below and to the right under the steering wheel..
I also had a look at the end panel in the dash with the door open and can't get that off either.

You would of thought that if the fuse box is underneath it would be simple to remove to gain access !!

So, still haven't seen the fuse board, beginning to think it doesn't exist :eek:

I would really appreciate some help, or better still some pictures so I know what I am dealing with.

Thanks guy's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Access panel is not difficult to remove, just pulls off from side nearest steering column. End panel is a little trickier - I have a set of 4 different panel removal tools, off Ebay, which are soft plastic and do not damage the plastic panel. My dashcam wiring loom comes with a piggy back type fuse which I installed in place of the vertical yellow 20 amp fuse, visible at the bottom of the fuse bank. This 20 amp fuse is used for 12v. socket etc.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IWRA said:
It just pulls off. Pull it from the steering wheel side.
Thanks, that is a great help..

I think I was probably not pulling hard enough, although it feel tight and fairly permanent.

Try again tomorrow..

Still a bit anoyed that the manual is incorrect and says it is behind the glovebox on RHD cars, as I spent time cabling behind the A-Pillar on the passenger side.. Doh !!

Thanks again..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
greycross said:
I think I was probably not pulling hard enough, although it feel tight and fairly permanent.
Try again tomorrow..
I found the fuse box !!!

Once I knew that it was under the panel and that the panel definitely came off, one good pull and hey presto !!

Dash cam all wired up now, my kit came with a mini fuse piggy back connector so I used the rear wash wipe fuse F43.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
313 Posts
[/quote]

I used the rear wash wipe fuse F43.

[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, i will get mine in asap on collection. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will also investigate the RHS fuse box lid with greater gusto, even though I have found a (reduced) fuse box under the bonnet, which doesn't cover all items, or have a corresponding list in the inaccurate or incorrect handbook (IIHB).

The only reason I was looking for it is that I plugged-in the supplied tyre inflator to the 12V outlet, as a trial on a brand new car, and the fuse blew.

The IIHB says don't use items over 120W in the 12V outlet, yet the inflator supplied by VW is rated at 150W...................

Otherwise, great car.

RHD VW T-Cross SEL

·
Registered
3 Posts
greycross said:
greycross said:
Try again tomorrow..
I found the fuse box !!!

Once I knew that it was under the panel and that the panel definitely came off, one good pull and hey presto !!

Dash cam all wired up now, my kit came with a mini fuse piggy back connector so I used the rear wash wipe fuse F43.

Thanks for the help.

Hi did you remove the windscreen side panel was it easy to do. pics would be great.

Thinking about a dash cam.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts