Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all

Was researching whether it's possible to use this wirelessly and it seems you can via a wireless carplay dongle, so once set up for the first time you just leave it connected and it picks up and connects your phone automatically to Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Now, from what I gather you have to install an android APK to the head unit, but the big question is what is the VW MIB3 Infotainment based on? If not Android then I guess it's not going to work, unless there is another dongle on the market which is compatible. Does anyone know about this or tried it?

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble, The VW units are most definitely not android. Proprietary VW devices.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm not sure what the "this" is in your sentence "it's possible to use this wirelessly" but you don't need any dongle to connect a phone (iOS or Android) to the head unit, the functionality is included in the unit as standard and I use it every day. The head unit picks up the phone when you are in the car and switch the ignition on. Just follow the instructions in the manual.

The head unit is definitely not running under Android or any other commercial system. The software behind it is proprietary and there is no way of installing anything onto it other than what is pre-installed. Not sure where you have got your "research" from but it all sounds incorrect

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Android Auto only works when connect via a USB C cable, for Android V10 anyway.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gotcha. It was just your original post mentioned Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - the latter definitely works wirelessly without any messing about.

Never touched an Android phone so afraid I can't help with that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, my wife's iPhone works fine with CarPlay for navigation, Spotify etc. Unfortunately Android only works via cable for Android Auto, but the latest version of Android (v11) is supposed to work. So until my phone gets v11 I'll just have to make do with the cable!
This may be useful info for Android users.

·
Registered
78 Posts
From what I read on another forum of a car brand I own where people were discussing this same topic, seems that the Bluetooth connection is not fast enough for some Androids to use the Android Auto so they must be cabled at the moment. It's not just a software issue, it's hardware limitation as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
GeoBog said:
From what I read on another forum of a car brand I own where people were discussing this same topic, seems that the Bluetooth connection is not fast enough for some Androids to use the Android Auto so they must be cabled at the moment. It's not just a software issue, it's hardware limitation as well.
Could be, though CarPlay seems to need WiFi switched on on the iPhone for it to work, though the head unit shows up as an available and connected Bluetooth device as well, so perhaps it uses BT for some data tx and WiFi for some.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.