Trip and Clock Random Reset

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Cross
skywalker86

Trip and Clock Random Reset

Post by skywalker86 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:57 am

Hey Guys,

New to the forum here so thanks for having me.. I couldnt find this topic or issue on the forum so hoping someone has some advice?

I Recently purchased my T-Cross HL 1.0l in December 2019 and have been having the following issues:

- Jamming (strugglig to start) on push start intermittently: VW said that the key sensor is behind the central cup holder and sometimes objects like keys in the cup holder can sometime interfere with the key signal. Understandable, so I am trying not to have anything stored or lying here to see if the problem does indeed stop..havnt had an intermittent start yet, but has only been 3 days. This brings me to the next issue which I thought may have been the problem originally.

- My clock and trip resets randomly but also intermittently. Now this made me think that the issue may be the car battery, which in my mind could also explain the jamming start, and I have noticed that sometimes when starting the car my cabin light flickers. I reported this to VW on a checkup last Friday, and they said the usual BS that no, the diagnostic has reported no errors so they cant do anything, ie there is no problem. I asked if they checked the battery and they said the voltages were normal and that the battery showed as good. They said I should record a video of the jamming start when it happens again so they can send this to VW for a possible fault check.

You would think that a brand new car should not have any of these kind of issues, and it grinds my gears that an official VW dealership depend solely on a dignostic print out and dont actually fault find, or check possible causes that may not be on a piece of paper.

Has anyone had similiar issues with their T-Cross? If so, was there a solution or possible cause?

Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance. Stay safe out there!

Luke

Tricky2

Re: Trip and Clock Random Reset

Post by Tricky2 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:23 am

Sorry to hear about your problems, it sucks when the dealership don't give you the concern they should. We have kessy, never had starting issues wherever the keys are, and also no random resetting.

It does sound like an intermittent loose connection, but I would expect the electronics would have logged this.

Can you expand on how it jams?

Our experience is you get in, foot not on brake and press the button, dash all comes on ok?

Foot on brake firmly (DSG, clutch in for manual), push the button (briefly, you're just telling the car to start, it does it all itself so doesn't need holding on) engine should come straight on.
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG

skywalker86

Post by skywalker86 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:11 am

Hi Tricky2,

Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

It is just crazy how they charge such exhorbetent fees yet give you half a job. The vehicle is however under a full 5 year maintenance plan for these diagnostics costs, but it is a pain having to have to book the vehicle in, and having to wait 3 days, then arrange your own lift to work at 07h00am in the morning, which I guess is a bit more understandable under the current situation the world is in. I have booked the car for a checkup this Friday, again.

I have done a bit of my own research online and some responses point to a possible fuse fault, or loose wiring, which I have now recommended to VW for the checkup on Friday which they say they will check. This relating to the resetting clock and trip.

With regards to the intermittent start, when I depress the brake and push the start button it will turn but be stuck in a loop, where I would have to press the button again to stop/turn off, and then press again to start which will then work, thus the 'jamming'. I normally have my key in my pocket, but at times have had a bunch of keys lying in the cup holder, but will continue to test this theory until it happens again. When i only push the start button without depressing the brake the dash does come on without issue, so it is only when actually starting the engine.

Do you also have a delayed wiper jet when pulling on the steering lever? VW says this is just how it is on the T-Cross, which I thought strange, but maybe there is some other reason for the delay.

Im really loving the vehicle otherwise, I just hate having little issues like this on a brand new car, especially for what it costs.

Digitalracer

Post by Digitalracer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:17 pm

Yes, definitely a delay on washers. Welcome to this useful and friendly site 👍
SEL DSG Energetic orange, keyless entry, folding mirrors, auto headlights, chrome strip on boot, spacesaver, Park assist and 17" Clayton alloys. Ordered 25th July, expected delivery 30th September. Collection mid October.

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:01 pm

2nded, you pull the stalk and wonder if anything's ever going to happen then eventually it all happens. It's funny, cos rear is almost instantaneous...
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG

Eelis

Post by Eelis » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:36 pm

There is a topic discussing that in this site, if I can remember correctly.
I think it was because the front washers don't have directional valves which prevent water from returning back to water tank, that makes the delay, it has to fill those tubes again after use, if you use washer immediately again there is no delay.
At rear it has this valve.

-eelis-
115hp Style, white manual.
Leds, Nav, Active Info Display, Climatronic, reverse camera
elect. folding mirrors, wireless loader, tinted rear windows.

beelzebunny

Post by beelzebunny » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:45 am

Hi Skywalker86,

I am in Belgium and am presently having the same issue re random reset clock, mileage. Taking into garage shortly and already advised them of this forum and the issue as the usual response was that VW has not encountered any problems yet with the new T-Cross.