New to VW

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Cross
chudbond007

New to VW

Post by chudbond007 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:39 am

Hi,

My wife has just bought a 2019 VW T Cross R-Line with the 1.0L 113BHP manual transmission covered 28,000 miles.

Neither of us have owned a VW before and our experience so far is poor...

Picked the car up and set off home (2 hour drive) - engine started to misfire under acceleration and eventually lost power so dramatically that we had to stop on the hard shoulder of the M1 and call VW Roadside assistance. Eventually got the car recovered to home and AA came out and diagnosed a faulty spark plug - nobody could locate a suitable spark plug until the next day (specific size only supplied by VW apparently). VW assistance would only replace the one faulty plug despite AA recommending all three be replace due to the condition of them. Also turbo actuator was seized and a bolt missing from exhaust bracket. Really doubt this car has had 142 point check and been approved as saleable.

Car has a rough idle and the whole car vibrates when idling - is this normal?

Folding door mirror sounds like it's going to snap off when locking/unlocking the car.

Engine seems to run out of puff beyond 70mph - not a problem as we don't exceed that normally but again - is that to be expected?

Sorry for long post but it's been a troublesome first few days of ownership!

jadee

Re: New to VW

Post by jadee » Tue May 04, 2021 10:34 am

Did you buy from a VW dealer - they have the approved vehicle scheme with a 30 day/1,000 mile 'no quibble' exchange policy plus many other safeguards on your purchase?

Rough idle is not normal, it is only 3 cylinder but should not make car vibrate, it should go well beyond 70 mph and the mirrors do make a noise when folding but not a sound like they will snap.

When was the car last serviced, it sounds like it is due for one?

chudbond007

Post by chudbond007 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:25 am

Yes, it's from a VW dealer and we are thinking of returning the car.

The car was serviced in March. The whole experience has been underwhelming to say the least.

Shame, because its got a lot going for it and it looks great.

jadee

Post by jadee » Tue May 04, 2021 11:34 am

I think your experience is the exception, I hope the dealer manages to sort you out.

Makes you wonder if they changed all the spark plugs if the problems with the engine would go away?

Let us know how you get on and best of luck.

Digitalracer

Post by Digitalracer » Tue May 04, 2021 2:04 pm

Definitely got to back to the dealer. What a terrible experience!!
Had my car from new, 18 months. Admittedly low mileage due to lockdown, but have previously had a Volvo S40 2.4 ltr Sport I am more than happy with the T Cross and the performance.
SEL DSG Energetic orange, keyless entry, folding mirrors, auto headlights, chrome strip on boot, spacesaver, Park assist and 17" Clayton alloys. Ordered 25th July, expected delivery 30th September. Collection mid October.

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Tue May 04, 2021 5:45 pm

Def not right, very difficult to not exceed 70 as this engine is so good and pulls well, absolutely no vibration with ours. Things like missing bolt worry me, sounds like previous attempts at a fix have been bodged.

Very sorry for your problems, but walk away it sounds like endless trouble! They're good cars, but not immune from the odd lemon.
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I had Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG for 6 years, currently Volvo XC40 AWD mild hybrid

Halin9

Post by Halin9 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:00 pm

As above comments...return it and get your money back.. It sounds like a very dodgy car, particularly with 28000 miles in 2 years..!.. Mine is 20 months old and only done 6500...! hardly any miles last year due to lockdown.
Sounds like yours has had a hard life.

Digitalracer

Post by Digitalracer » Wed May 05, 2021 7:55 am

Make sure you come back to us with news of how it went.
Fingers crossed you get a successful outcome, preferably refund /exchange 🤞
SEL DSG Energetic orange, keyless entry, folding mirrors, auto headlights, chrome strip on boot, spacesaver, Park assist and 17" Clayton alloys. Ordered 25th July, expected delivery 30th September. Collection mid October.

LesB

Post by LesB » Wed May 05, 2021 2:41 pm

Have you checked the speed limiter is not activated it may have been set to 70mph check in hand book under Operating the speed limiter hope this helps

chudbond007

Post by chudbond007 » Wed May 05, 2021 5:14 pm

Thanks for all the advice.
Currently in discussion with the dealer as to how they are going to sort this. We're prepared to see if they can resolve the issues and return a car in pristine condition - if not we will invoke the 30-day no quibble exchange - but that's what it is - an exchange from the same dealer, not a refund and they don't have a great deal of choice at the price which suits my wife (basically either a Polo or a T Cross size wise, and its an R-Line so got lots of gadgets!)

We'll see what they can do.