T-cross was fine, now seems a bit Sluggish

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Cross
greycross

T-cross was fine, now seems a bit Sluggish

Post by greycross » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:52 pm

Hi All,

I have had my T-Cross for approaching 2 years now, and have been very pleased with it..

however I have started to notice over the past couple of weeks that some thing appears to have changed, as it now feels a bit sluggish and the MPG has dropped a bit.

Rear discs are a bit rusty and pitted as it has been standing for extended periods during the Covid lock downs but appears to roll OK if I stop on a small slope and let the brakes off, so I don't think it is a binding brake or anything like that.

The other thing that sprung to mind is that it has been quite warm here in the UK in recent weeks, so the air conditioning has been working harder, but I wouldn't expect that to make much of a difference, or maybe it does on such a small engine?

There are no messages under the vehicle information on the dash, so shouldn't be an engine fault, so I am at a loss as to why it feels so different.

Anyone got any ideas or experienced anything similar ?

Thanks guy's..
T-Cross SEL 1.0 TSI 6-speed Manual Limestone Grey
Usual SEL kit plus, Active Info, Keyless, Rear Camera, Folding Mirrors & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 25th April 2019
Confirmed Build Week 10th June
Car at Dealers 15th July
Car Collected 1st August 2019

Digitalracer

Re: T-cross was fine, now seems a bit Sluggish

Post by Digitalracer » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:13 pm

Aircon does have an effect on consumption around town, but not so much on a run.
My DSG is showing long term Ave mpg of 43.3(my mileage is only just over 4k) for a reference point.
Clutch slipping is a reason for sluggish and increasing consumption, but shouldn't be happening so soon.
SEL DSG Energetic orange, keyless entry, folding mirrors, auto headlights, chrome strip on boot, spacesaver, Park assist and 17" Clayton alloys. Ordered 25th July, expected delivery 30th September. Collection mid October.

greycross

Post by greycross » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Clutch slipping could be a good call, hasn't their been issues with the 1.0L and clutches ?

I hope it isn't though, as sounds expensive, but hopefully any issues and it is warranty job..

Is there anyway that I can test and confirm if the clutch is OK, guessing I should see revs rise without increase in road speed or something ?

Car has done 7k miles so should be good.

I have been driving for 40 years and never had any clutch issues on any car that I have owned.

Due a service at two years old, so will get them to check it out under my service and maintenance plan.

Ta.
T-Cross SEL 1.0 TSI 6-speed Manual Limestone Grey
Usual SEL kit plus, Active Info, Keyless, Rear Camera, Folding Mirrors & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 25th April 2019
Confirmed Build Week 10th June
Car at Dealers 15th July
Car Collected 1st August 2019

IWRA

Post by IWRA » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:16 pm

There have been clutch issues with the VW group 1 litre engines which I was aware of before I bought mine 2 years ago. Needless to say the dealer denied any knowledge of such issues. I've not had a problem in 2 years but due to lockdown I've only done 4,000 miles. I'm taking it in for it's 2nd service this month.

In all the reports I've read the dealers and VW have refused to honour the warranty for clutch failures. I've been driving for 50 years and have yet to wear a clutch out on any vehicle!
2019 T-Cross First Edition

Historymaker88

Post by Historymaker88 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:19 pm

Hi there. I also drive a 2 year old Tcross with around 15000km on the odo. My vehicle is an auto DSG 85 kw version. I find that warmer weather does slow the vehicle down a little. It's winter in my country now and my car tends to perform much better in colder conditions. Lower tyre pressures can also have a minor impact on your performance. However, the biggest culprit affecting performance is fuel quality. Although I only use 95 RON fuel, I find that using certain brands of fuel can lower or increase performance. Try different fuel manufacturers and see which one best suits your vehicle...

GeoBog

Post by GeoBog » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:59 pm

greycross wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Is there anyway that I can test and confirm if the clutch is OK, guessing I should see revs rise without increase in road speed or something ?
20 plate T-Cross here, around 10k miles and no clutch issues. You can test the clutch yourself. The less destructive method is by driving in 4th gear at around 40mph then push down the accelerator to the floor. If the engine revs but the car does not pick up speed then is likely gone. Second method is to put in reverse, hand brake engaged and releasing the clutch slowly. If the engine is about to stall then the clutch is fine.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.