Engine cutting out at low speed

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Cross
Tricky2

Re: Engine cutting out at low speed

Post by Tricky2 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:06 pm

Eelis wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:09 pm
When thinking this again, I missed the thing, that when you stall the car (manual) you are engaged to some gear, so to start it again you should have the gear stick on neutral too, to allow the start/stop start the motor again. Maybe that's the problem here, not only pressing the clutch, but shift to neutral too before that.

-eelis-
Shouldn't have to take out of gear, but would need clutch full down. Previous to cross which is DSG we had a 2016 polo manual, stalled a few times and all but once restarted by itself with clutch down. Did have one instance early on when it came up start manually, no reason I could determine for that. Maybe its clutch down as soon as you realise you've stalled.
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG

Eelis

Post by Eelis » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:29 am

Are sure about this, we are talking manual gear box here, are we?
When I stall the car, it is usually almost standing still and me trying to engage too high gear (that is happening very rarely, being world's best driver ;) ), so if I push clutch and my gear stick is in some gear other than neutral, it won't start.
This could be different though, if car is in move, but are we talking of stalling car in greater speed, me and my car haven't been able to do that however?

-eelis-
115hp Style, white manual.
Leds, Nav, Active Info Display, Climatronic, reverse camera
elect. folding mirrors, wireless loader, tinted rear windows.

IWRA

Post by IWRA » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:27 pm

There is a difference between the engine stalling and cutting out due to the stop/start system. The engine will restart eventually by depressing the clutch or waggling the steering wheel if the stop/start system cuts it out, however it takes a few seconds and if you are stuck across a road junction when it happens it is not a pleasant experience.
2019 T-Cross First Edition

NigelH

Post by NigelH » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:13 pm

I had this checked out at my first service today however, as expected, they were unable to reproduce the fault. They have reported the existence of the fault to VW and I would urge anyone else that has experienced the stalling in 2nd gear fault to report it to their dealer. Until sufficient owners report this it is unlikely that VW will take action to develop a solution.

AndrewE

Post by AndrewE » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:25 pm

My T-Cross remains at local VW dealer awaiting a solution to this issue. I can't fault the dealer, they are trying to help.

It has been suggested to me that the grade of petrol is a contributory factor, with a higher and more expensive octane being recommended. Has anyone else received this suggestion? Anyone found this cures the problem?

VW have also had suggested the torque of the engine in second gear might be limited, and hence another contributory factor. On Wikipedia it says the T-Cross has a torque of 200 Nm, which seems pretty reasonable, though maybe it is less in some gears. Can anyone advise on what the torque in second gear might be?

I agree with other contributors - the car is not stalling but actively prevented from picking up speed. I have wondered whether the adaptive cruise control or the collision detection features could have been triggered by some local street furniture as the car turns a corner in second gear at low speed.

We previously had a Nissan Juke, with similar size, power, weight and torque (though the Juke did have a diesel engine). The Juke never ever cut out like the T-Cross has done on around eight occasions. In fact I have never experienced this sort of fault before on any car.

I am surprised at the suggestion that low torque was a factor because because our T-Cross was only lightly loaded with two passengers and negligible luggage, and being driven on flat or slight downward gradient at the time the engine cut-out.

Halin9

Post by Halin9 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:15 pm

Have you tried driving with the "stop/start" switched off..? Previous owners have suggested that cures the problem..

IWRA

Post by IWRA » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:21 pm

Yes it is low torque with quite a gap between first and second gear. I firmly believe that this is due to the way the stop start system programme is written and can be resolved by a software upgrade.
2019 T-Cross First Edition

NigelH

Post by NigelH » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:19 pm

I don't think that the grade of fuel used has anything to do with this problem as I've been using Shell V Power since new(3500 miles) which would disprove the dealers assertion to use a higher octane. It never happens when the stop/start is switched off so the problem must be related to that.