OBD11

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Cross
DrSaG

OBD11

Post by DrSaG » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:24 am

Has anyone tried to enable any apps via OBD11? Does it work? Do you lose warranty if you change things?

I'm new to this area so I trying to collect some info if it's worth buying it.
1.0 GT DSG 115hp in White :D
Parking sensors front and back
App connect
Active info display
Radio composition media
Electric heated and foldable mirrors

Tricky2

Re: OBD11

Post by Tricky2 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi, I've used ODB11 on our 3 VW's, my Tiguan, my wife's former Polo and now her T-Cross. In general the changes are not going to be visible to the mechanics servicing the car. If it caused an issue and it could be shown the change you made caused the issue I can see it being a problem but in general I don't think so. No one's ever called me out on the Tiguan and polo changes.

I've just added auto coming home and auto High beam (light assist) to the T-Cross. Now at night when switching off headlights remain on until the set time after leaving the car without having to flick the stalk, and while driving a flick forward brings up the White headlight symbol with A in the middle, and above 37 mpg it self switches to main beam, and back to dip if it sees a car ahead.

Also added teardrop wipe after screen wash, and looking to add nordic style rear DRL's.

If you go for it, go for the pro, the basic does everything by 'apps' which cost credits, the pro you can go into the long coding and change whatever you want without using credits. Also not sure what apos available for the T-Cross yet as it's quite new.
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG

DrSaG

Post by DrSaG » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Tricky2 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:51 pm
Hi, I've used ODB11 on our 3 VW's, my Tiguan, my wife's former Polo and now her T-Cross. In general the changes are not going to be visible to the mechanics servicing the car. If it caused an issue and it could be shown the change you made caused the issue I can see it being a problem but in general I don't think so. No one's ever called me out on the Tiguan and polo changes.

I've just added auto coming home and auto High beam (light assist) to the T-Cross. Now at night when switching off headlights remain on until the set time after leaving the car without having to flick the stalk, and while driving a flick forward brings up the White headlight symbol with A in the middle, and above 37 mpg it self switches to main beam, and back to dip if it sees a car ahead.

Also added teardrop wipe after screen wash, and looking to add nordic style rear DRL's.

If you go for it, go for the pro, the basic does everything by 'apps' which cost credits, the pro you can go into the long coding and change whatever you want without using credits. Also not sure what apos available for the T-Cross yet as it's quite new.
Sounds great. I'm a newbie so I appreciate your help.
Do you know if it's possible to activate Park Assist? I have parking sensors f+b but I haven't purchased it.
App connect
Active info display
Radio composition media

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:43 pm

DrSaG wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:05 pm
Sounds great. I'm a newbie so I appreciate your help.
Do you know if it's possible to activate Park Assist? I have parking sensors f+b but I haven't purchased it.
Whilst all the sensors, control and logic exists for park assist the one thing missing is the dash panel switch. Unfortunately it not as simple as adding in the switch, the switch panels on VW's are normally assemblies with certain combinations of switches included. The changes I made use existing controls so it's all soft coded

Figuring this out is beyond me, I just grab coding from the ODB11 forum for the various cars as the control modules are the same across all their vehicles. .

If I come across this I'll let you know.

DrSaG

Post by DrSaG » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:53 pm

Thank you!

I had a chat with a friend of mine earlier today who works as a vehicle engineer and he told me that they can detect some of the changes the users do with OBD11 when they visit the workshop, which of course means you lose the warranty. Dunno :?: :roll:

By the way, how the parking sensors without Park assist work? Isn't there a pop up in the infotainment when I put the reverse? Or it's just the sound?
App connect
Active info display
Radio composition media

silverhairs

Post by silverhairs » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:19 pm

The park assist requires an extra sensor either side front and back, so it's not just a switch on with the OBD11 or any OBD!

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:55 pm

silverhairs wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:19 pm
The park assist requires an extra sensor either side front and back, so it's not just a switch on with the OBD11 or any OBD!
This relates to very old parking sensors. My Tiguan has the side sensors and has full parking assist 2. (self parks parallel or at right angles to the kerb) My T-Cross has precisely THE SAME number and position sensors. However as I mentioned, to activate Park assist you need to push a button which doesn't exist on the car if park assist wasn't specified. So you're correct, you can't just turn it on via ODB port, but for the wrong reason.