Steering

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Cross
kevin53

Steering

Post by kevin53 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:59 am

When I test drove the t cross se at the dealers the steering was light and it felt okay
On my sel with 17 inch wheels the steering seems heavier than that on my test drive , I’ve got the pressures at 33 front and 30 rear which seem correct as per the label on the car . It’s ok at low speeds , but at higher speeds particularly in sport mode and when you’re slowing down it seems heavier than I thought .
Could be I need some spinach or something 🤔but could this be the fact it’s new(540on the clock) and needs to bed in or wrong tyre pressures ?
The se model on my test drive had 17 inch wheels and was a dream to drive .
Maybe it’s me , I don’t have driver profile by the way . Anyone else experienced this ?
all comments welcome

AussieJohn

Re: Steering

Post by AussieJohn » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:50 pm

Hi Kevin, I have just taken delivery of an R Line with 18 inch wheels and I run them, as all previous cars, 10 percent higher than recommended. The recommendation seeks, in my view to balance comfort and handling. I'd be inclined to run your pressures at least at 36 all round. It saves confusion, petrol and gives you longer tyre life in my view. Cheers-John

Gray59

Post by Gray59 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi Kevin,
When in sport mode it alters the steering characteristics.
Read here:
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology ... -selection

Cheers,
Graham

Sorry, just re-read your post you say you do not have driver profiles...but I think you may have driver assist.

kevin53

Post by kevin53 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:25 pm

Re Aussie John . 36 all round ? Funny that as they were the pressures when the car was delivered .. mmm so that’s an extra 3 in front and 6 in back as to what they’re at now . Guess I’ll give it a go I think . Yes graham I have driver assist apparently I wish I’d had the driver profile selection now though. Guess you can’t get that retrospectively fitted?
Thanks for your input guys .

kevin53

Post by kevin53 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:06 pm

Interestingly on the tyre pressure plate on driver side door pillar it states 33front and 30 rear but it says it’s for R 16 wheels . I have 17 inch wheels are these pressures the same for 17 inch ? If anyone is on 17 inch wheels could they let me know what they set their pressures at and does their tyre pressure plate differ from above?

Halin9

Post by Halin9 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:57 pm

As both your test car and purchased car are on 17 inch wheels , unless there is a big difference in type of tyre, they should both steer the same...so very odd that you feel a big difference. Check that you are not in "sport" mode, which does make a difference.
As regards tyre pressures, they remain the same no matter the diameter of wheel..

kevin53

Post by kevin53 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Cheers halin . I didn’t buy the test car as I got the car from another dealer but maybe it’s just getting used to it I think