Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner

New to VW

9K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Digitalracer 
#1 ·
Hi,

My wife has just bought a 2019 VW T Cross R-Line with the 1.0L 113BHP manual transmission covered 28,000 miles.

Neither of us have owned a VW before and our experience so far is poor...

Picked the car up and set off home (2 hour drive) - engine started to misfire under acceleration and eventually lost power so dramatically that we had to stop on the hard shoulder of the M1 and call VW Roadside assistance. Eventually got the car recovered to home and AA came out and diagnosed a faulty spark plug - nobody could locate a suitable spark plug until the next day (specific size only supplied by VW apparently). VW assistance would only replace the one faulty plug despite AA recommending all three be replace due to the condition of them. Also turbo actuator was seized and a bolt missing from exhaust bracket. Really doubt this car has had 142 point check and been approved as saleable.

Car has a rough idle and the whole car vibrates when idling - is this normal?

Folding door mirror sounds like it's going to snap off when locking/unlocking the car.

Engine seems to run out of puff beyond 70mph - not a problem as we don't exceed that normally but again - is that to be expected?

Sorry for long post but it's been a troublesome first few days of ownership!

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you buy from a VW dealer - they have the approved vehicle scheme with a 30 day/1,000 mile 'no quibble' exchange policy plus many other safeguards on your purchase?

Rough idle is not normal, it is only 3 cylinder but should not make car vibrate, it should go well beyond 70 mph and the mirrors do make a noise when folding but not a sound like they will snap.

When was the car last serviced, it sounds like it is due for one?

#5 ·
Definitely got to back to the dealer. What a terrible experience!!
Had my car from new, 18 months. Admittedly low mileage due to lockdown, but have previously had a Volvo S40 2.4 ltr Sport I am more than happy with the T Cross and the performance.

#6 ·
Def not right, very difficult to not exceed 70 as this engine is so good and pulls well, absolutely no vibration with ours. Things like missing bolt worry me, sounds like previous attempts at a fix have been bodged.

Very sorry for your problems, but walk away it sounds like endless trouble! They're good cars, but not immune from the odd lemon.

#7 ·
As above comments...return it and get your money back.. It sounds like a very dodgy car, particularly with 28000 miles in 2 years..!.. Mine is 20 months old and only done 6500...! hardly any miles last year due to lockdown.
Sounds like yours has had a hard life.

#8 ·
Make sure you come back to us with news of how it went.
Fingers crossed you get a successful outcome, preferably refund /exchange 🤞

#10 ·
Thanks for all the advice.
Currently in discussion with the dealer as to how they are going to sort this. We're prepared to see if they can resolve the issues and return a car in pristine condition - if not we will invoke the 30-day no quibble exchange - but that's what it is - an exchange from the same dealer, not a refund and they don't have a great deal of choice at the price which suits my wife (basically either a Polo or a T Cross size wise, and its an R-Line so got lots of gadgets!)

We'll see what they can do.

#11 ·
Don't forget on top of their 30 days you have some statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

The Act states the car must be "of a satisfactory quality", "fit for purpose" and "as described". (For a used car, "satisfactory quality" takes into account the car's age and mileage.)

You have a right to reject something faulty and you are entitled to a full refund within 30 days of purchase in most cases.

Also if you used a credit card for all or part of the cost of your car, the card company and the dealer might be jointly responsible for compensating you under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

So if they don't fix and have nothing suitable as an exchange - invoke the legal acts and get a full refund.

#12 ·
Sound advice, and how can it be fit for purpose when a 2 Yr old car can't even get you home from the garage without breaking down!!

#14 ·
Right, the car has been with the dealer for the last week to sort out some issues - one of which was the rough idle causing the car to vibrate at idle. They say they have checked with a new T Cross and that does the same due to the 3 cylinder engine. Is this anyone else's experience with the 1.0l 115 bhp engine? Sounds like bullshit to me but we've got no way of confirming this. They haven't changed all the spark plugs - which I would've thought would have been the first thing to check. Got to decide whether to accept or reject this car.

#18 ·
chudbond007 said:
Thanks for all the advice.
Currently in discussion with the dealer as to how they are going to sort this. We're prepared to see if they can resolve the issues and return a car in pristine condition - if not we will invoke the 30-day no quibble exchange - but that's what it is - an exchange from the same dealer, not a refund and they don't have a great deal of choice at the price which suits my wife (basically either a Polo or a T Cross size wise, and its an R-Line so got lots of gadgets!)

We'll see what they can do.
Hi, I also consider invoking the 30-day no-quibble exchange of my T-cross 1.5 R-line due to I just bought this car within a month but already shown the errors such as "start-stop system" and "Brake servo restricted". But I would like to know whether I need to buy NEW car insurance for the exchanged car or I can transfer my current car insurance to the exchanged car? I hope you could resolve the above issues very soon. Thanks.

#19 ·
Re car insurance, you just transfer it, the same as whenever you change a car. If the new car's identical there should be no extra charge, if it's a different make, model or engine there may sometimes be an uplift, and in the odd rare case a refund!

#20 ·
chudbond007 said:
Right, the car has been with the dealer for the last week to sort out some issues - one of which was the rough idle causing the car to vibrate at idle. They say they have checked with a new T Cross and that does the same due to the 3 cylinder engine. Is this anyone else's experience with the 1.0l 115 bhp engine? Sounds like bullshit to me but we've got no way of confirming this. They haven't changed all the spark plugs - which I would've thought would have been the first thing to check. Got to decide whether to accept or reject this car.
Sounds very odd.

I bought a brand new T-cross R-Line 1.0L 115BHP in manual which I collected on 27th May. I've not experienced any vibrations while idling.

#22 ·
We couldn't exchange the car because that can only be done at the same franchise dealer and they didn't have any suitable options. They solved some of the faults: new rear brake discs, replaced the door mirror housing, repaired another damaged alloy, but downright refused to replace the remaining 2 spark plugs (one was already replaced after the breakdown). Unbelievably, my wife had to pay £72 for 2 spark plugs to be replaced - we didn't see any other option and made our disappointment plain. Ridiculously, they then sent her a food hamper and flowers which would have cost more than the spark plugs! The engine still vibrates abnormally - there is no way VW or any other manufacturer would sell a car that visibly wobbles when idling. Very disappointed with the whole experience of buying a £17,300 VW from a main dealer and will probably swap the car much sooner than anticipated.

#23 ·
All cars can have problems. The main issue is that this car (and probably most used cars) obviously did not go through any pre sales checks despite VW advertising their 142 point checks as a major benefit of buying from an approved VW dealer. The car literally broke down on the M1 on our way home. We then noticed all the other problems within a couple of days - if their own mechanics can't spot these faults, what exactly are they doing? The AA recommended that all 3 spark plugs be replaced - shouldn't even have been an issue.

#25 ·
Totally agree.
Thoroughly disgusting from VW. You deserve better options, I definitely would not let it rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.