Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner

Anyone regret buying T Cross?

31K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  glint.bladesong 
#1 ·
Just thought I would ask the question as hope to get mine soon(been 3 weeks "in transit").
Getting quite excited and everyone here more or less seems very happy with theirs.
I tried several different cars and immediately liked the look of the T Cross in the flesh and felt way more at home in it than any of the others.

#4 ·
Thanks to both of you, very reassuring. Can't wait for the big day.!!

#6 ·
Geo said:
Does anyone regret ordering Funchal wheels on reflex silver SEL. 2 weeks in trasit. Now getting excited!
You won't notice the wheels when they are covered in mud, the bit question that R line owners can answer is how are 18 inch wheels

#7 ·
Digitalracer said:
I tried several different cars and immediately liked the look of the T Cross in the flesh and felt way more at home in it than any of the others.
Strange that, in many ways the T Cross is more inviting than the T Roc and does not seem to have it's faults (though I would prefer an electronic hand brake)

#10 ·
No regrets so far, i had a T Roc with all the problems and it took five weeks to get rid of it ! Until they fix the 1.5 engine steer clear especially with the manual gearbox. My 18 inch wheels are fine I have the DQ200 gearbox which does have a bad history, see "Honest John" Website but hopefully with 3 years warranty i am not looking for a problem Honest John did say its best suited to the 1.0 engine set up. Would agree the electronic handbrake is good had one on my Golf worked a treat.
Think my experience so far is all good.

#11 ·
Despite having the worst possible start (see my other thread entitled "day 1 - worst possible start) my wife is absolutely loving her T Cross (even though we've had further issues in so far as the dealer ordered in a rear view camera for the car, collected it from home and then discovered the part was broken 🙄 - goes back tomorrow for a second attempt to fit a working camera). Yes, the plastics are a bit hard, there are some areas of cost cutting - no lights on the vanity mirrors etc - but the car is an absolute hoot to drive, easy to park and incredibly practical for its size. We "downgraded" from an Audi A3 but my wife isn't missing that car at all. The R Line model also has more "technology" included as standard than my 2 month old Mercedes E Class. Really pleased with our purchase and only seen one other in 2 weeks of ownership.

#12 ·
All seem very positive reviews,thanks. Wish I had requested the Active display but was told too close to being built to amend order.

#14 ·
No regrets about our T-Cross..

We initially ordered a T-Roc 1.5 TSI Manual, but there were mega delays and concerns over the Kangarooing which delayed things further. While we were waiting, along came the T-Cross which we really liked and which had all the same tech as the T-Roc.
So we switched our order to a T-Cross 1.0L SEL manual.

The only comment I would have is that the little 1.0 TSI 115 Bhp is a bit under powered at times, resulting in having to continually change gears all the time, which feels a bit alien after our previous Golf TDI which had loads of torque. In my opinion, the T-Cross would definitely benefit from a bit more grunt.

If the 1.5 TSI was sorted to be Kangaroo free and it was available in the T-Cross, just think what a stunning package that would be !!

#15 ·
greycross said:
The only comment I would have is that the little 1.0 TSI 115 Bhp is a bit under powered at times, resulting in having to continually change gears all the time,
I hope to get my T Cross this weekend, however this was my main worry as we are switching from a 2 litre Audi Q3. We insisted on a 30 minute test drive to include a long hill on a motorway and was surprised how well the T Cross managed it.

#16 ·
Drw said:
We are switching from a 2 litre Audi Q3.
We insisted on a 30 minute test drive to include a long hill on a motorway and was surprised how well the T Cross managed it.
I did the same, had a couple of test drives before deciding on the T-Cross 1.0 Tsi 115 Bhp..

Like you say, felt good on test drives and seemed very capable..

However, having owned it for 2 months now, I have started to get a little frustrated at times with the lack of grunt.

Also, if driven with a bit of spirit, the fuel consumption drops of dramatically, but guess that is a characteristic of a small engine.

Still a good little package, ideally suited to casually driving around in a elevated comfortable manor.

#17 ·
Love my SEL dsg with 18 inch wheels....it's a pleasure to drive , super smooth gearbox and looks great, I think, in white.. The only thing is fuel consumption, low 40's , but I have touched 50 on a decent run. However, I think that's to be expected of a small 3 cylinder engine. I do think that the Eco claims for these small modern engines are exaggerated.....my wife gets more mpg out of her 14 year old 1.2 Nissan Micra..! Apart from that, great no regrets at all.

#19 ·
I bought an ex demo R Line as needed car urgently. In hindsight I think I should have gone for the SEL. I find the 18 inch wheels with Hankook tyres too hard for my local roads laced with numerous potholes and feel 17 inch would cause less jarring. Also, there is a chance I might get some all season tyres with 17 inch wheels as they are almost impossible to find for 18 inchers.

DSG 115 auto R line in Turquouse with folding mirrors, rear reverse camera, active display

#21 ·
I thought of this IWRA but on checking tyre pressures when cool I found them to be at the correct pressure as indicated on pressures on label inside car door. Guess I could reduce them by a couple of psi but not sure whether this is correct procedure from a safety angle if you know what I mean. However, will give it a go as currently they simply exaggerate every slight indent in road which spoils the ride somewhat and probably does not do the suspension much good..

#22 ·
Jonblue said:
I bought an ex demo R Line as needed car urgently. In hindsight I think I should have gone for the SEL. I find the 18 inch wheels with Hankook tyres too hard for my local roads laced with numerous potholes and feel 17 inch would cause less jarring. Also, there is a chance I might get some all season tyres with 17 inch wheels as they are almost impossible to find for 18 inchers.

DSG 115 auto R line in Turquouse with folding mirrors, rear reverse camera, active display
Does the suspension 'bounce' properly, I have heard tales of some cars that still have the transit blocks in the suspension.

#25 ·
CPPGR said:
Not only I dont regret, yesterday I bought a bed from ikea and thanks to folded co driver seat I transferred successfully 210cm length bed boxes!
Sadly VW UK don't think that it is useful to have a folding passenger seat !

#26 ·
Have only had our 2021 TCross 2 weeks. It's comfortable,and ok to drive. Don't like the fussy infroentertainmet panel at all. Far to fussy and not user friendly at all. No spare wheel. I'm already thinking big mistake, only her indoors loves it,even though she doesn't drive. So I could be stuck with it for a while ☹