Battery Charger

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
Bean

Re: Battery Charger

Post by Bean » Mon May 04, 2020 1:50 pm

Is it necessary to disconnect battery terminal when charging? I cant find any info in user manual.

GeoBog

Post by GeoBog » Tue May 05, 2020 7:41 am

No, it's not necessary, just make sure you connect the positive lead of the charger to the positive battery terminal and connect the negative lead on the charger to a grounding point on the chassis and not directly to the battery as it will not charge properly. The charge needs to go through the battery monitor which is installed on the negative terminal.

As others have said you can use a Lidl/Aldi charger, they are quite cheap and work perfectly and they also have trickle charge/maintenance function so you can leave connected long term. I can speak as I have both Aldi/Lidl plus a Ctek MXS3.8 for my cars and there is no difference between them except the brand and the price tag. I like Aldi charger more as it has a display and shows you the charging voltage while Lidl and Ctek have led indicators. Lidl one is quite old model, I believe the newer models also come with display like Aldi ones (probably made at same factory lol). Ctek make a quick connect lead called Comfort Connect Indicator which you connect to the battery permanently and then simply connect and disconnect the charger, no need for croc clamps anymore. It also has 3 led lights which indicate the level of charge in the battery. The Comfort Connector is around 6 quid on amazon, I have installed one in each of my cars and also modified the Aldi/Lidl chargers and installed Ctek connectors on them so I can use with the Comfort Connector. For the T-Cross I have installed the negative lead of the Comfort Connector on the bolt that holds the battery onto the tray. You can't miss it if you open the bonnet and look at the battery.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Bean

Post by Bean » Tue May 05, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks for reply

Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:25 pm

Purchased a CTEK MXS 5 Battery charger. Am puzzled whether I should connect the negative black connector direct to the battery terminal or should it be connected to the chassis. Apparently the latter is advisable if the car has a BMS Battery management system -- not sure if the T cross has. Advice please.

R line DSG 115 in Makena Turquoise
Electric mirrors
Sound Beats system,
Active Info display
Rear camera

Halin9

Post by Halin9 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:30 pm

See GeoBog's reply above..good detail..!...connect negative to chassis..NOT battery

glint.bladesong

Post by glint.bladesong » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:39 pm

Am puzzled whether I should connect the negative black connector direct to the battery terminal or should it be connected to the chassis
Further to Halin9's reply, on the chassis to the right of the battery (if you are standing in front of the car looking at the motor) is a silver lug (for want of a better word), it is marked in the manual as the negative connection point for when you are attaching jumper leads to your vehicle for a jump start.

You can use this when attaching your battery charger's negative cable.

As an aside, don't attach your jumper lead's negative cable direct to the battery either.... use the provided connection point
I have a T-Cross Style (Australian version) in Energetic orange. 3cylinder DSG.
We call it Harvey.

GeoBog

Post by GeoBog » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:31 am

Any modern car with Start/Stop system has some sort of BMS and that includes the T-Cross. I fixed my negative lead to the bolt in front of the battery which holds the bracket in place. I'll get a photo of it when I get home.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:45 pm

Thanks all.