Anyone using a MIFI Dongle in their T-Cross ?

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
greycross

Anyone using a MIFI Dongle in their T-Cross ?

Post by greycross » Fri May 31, 2019 7:20 pm

Hi,

I am currently collecting bits and pieces ahead of the delivery of my T-Cross, and the next item on my list is a MIFI Dongle.

The idea here is that it would be easier to have a MIFI Dongle installed in the car which is powered off one of the USB sockets, rather than having to remember to configure a WIFI hotspot to share internet data on my phone every time I get into the car !!

This would allow the infotainment to connect to the internet and allow extra carnet features and things like SatNav traffic to work.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this and had any success on a T-Cross, as the guy's over on the T-Roc forum seem to be able to get them to work ?

Thanks
T-Cross SEL 1.0 TSI 6-speed Manual Limestone Grey
Usual SEL kit plus, Active Info, Keyless, Rear Camera, Folding Mirrors & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 25th April 2019
Confirmed Build Week 10th June
Car at Dealers 15th July
Car Collected 1st August 2019

rarrar

Re: Anyone using a MIFI Dongle in their T-Cross ?

Post by rarrar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Did you get any where with this ?
I agree its a bit of hassle to reconfig the Android phone everytime I get in the car.
The manual suggests the VW USB product is the only one that will work !!!!
T-Cross SEL 1.0 , foldable mirrors, spare wheel, high beam assist, info display, towbar in Turquoise.
To replace L&K 1.4tsi Yeti .
Cumbria

greycross

Post by greycross » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:39 pm

rarrar wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:17 pm
Did you get any where with this ?
Yep, I have been using a Huawei E5330 MIFI dongle since I collected my car in August.

It works fine, got myself a SIM on the Three network, used the web interface to configure it with my laptop and now use it to produce a WIFI signal inside the car. The Infotainment system connects to it no problem.

Not sure of the benefit though, as all it really provides is a few news alerts and live traffic updates to the SatNav.
I can also use the VW app to create destinations for the Satnav and save them to the VW portal.
With the MIFI connected in the car, the SatNav can then connect to the same portal and see the destinations that I set on my phone.
Limited use, but does work fine..

Another benefit is that all phones within the car can also connect to the WIFI signal as well, handy if you are in a bad reception area for your phones 4G (EE in my case) as the Three Sim provides an alternative option which often works when my EE data doesn't.

Stock photo..

81ckxTiDOSL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Last edited by greycross on Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Usual SEL kit plus, Active Info, Keyless, Rear Camera, Folding Mirrors & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 25th April 2019
Car at Dealers 15th July

Daytel

Post by Daytel » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:46 pm

My previous car was an Audi Q2, with a 3 months free trial to ‘Audi connect’ via an embedded SIM card.
I was never going to pay the exorbitant price to continue with it, but it turned out I got it free as they had no mechanism to charge for it.
Amongst all the other standard extras on the T Cross R.Line the 36 months subscription to ‘Car Net’ seemed a bargain.
Little did I realise that I needed to utilise my phone Hot Spot to use it.
I had used it previously for a sat nav, so knew what to do.
Seems my iPhone SE will not automatically connect because Apple have decided you need to reconnect each time to avoid unknowingly wasting data. This proved more trouble than it was worth.
I have copied what the Tiguan forum members have done.
I got a Huawei E8372 USB Wingle - looks like a dongle, but can provide a Wi Fi signal to up to 10 devices, and a 3 Network data only Sim both from Amazon, This works automatically with the ignition.
Chose to get a Slimline USB converter from Halfords and plugged it into the 12v socket next to the gear lever, and use a short usb extension lead from Amazon. This leaves the 2 USB ports free, one for my phone, and 1 spare. Works well 90% of the time, if it fails to connect I just lift it out and re connect.
Use it for live traffic permanently on the active info display. It gives this information even if no destination is set on the Sat Nav, with both icons and verbal warnings..
R line DSG in Reef Blue
Rear camera
Park assist
Folding mirrors
Spare wheel

Daytel

Post by Daytel » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 am

Image for my previous post

D8A38E23-C8EB-493E-BC3D-B40DD388AB00.jpeg

R line DSG in Reef Blue
Rear camera
Park assist
Folding mirrors
Spare wheel

greycross

Post by greycross » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:46 pm

Daytel wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 am
Image for my previous post
Looks very similar to my installation, other than mine isn't a USB dongle, it is the unit I posted above.

What I tend to do is use a short USB lead (6") just for power for the MIFI unit and plug it into one of the USB sockets in the back of the arm rest, as then the MIFI unit then sits neatly in the cubby hole at the back of the armrest between the seats. It is not much of a problem permanently using one of the rear USB sockets, as I have never had anyone travel in the back of the car yet !!

I will post a pic next time I am in the car in daylight.
Ordered 25th April 2019
Car at Dealers 15th July

greycross

Post by greycross » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:41 pm

greycross wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:46 pm
I will post a pic next time I am in the car in daylight.

2020-01-17 15.48.01.jpg

Ordered 25th April 2019
Car at Dealers 15th July

Daytel

Post by Daytel » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 pm

Greycross,
That’s certainly a neat solution.
Whilst first setting up my Wingle I used a data extension in the front USB port rather than a normal charge only cable. I got a message saying ‘syncing with usb port’ which confused the hell out of me. (I’m not that technical).
I wondered if it was thinking I was using the VW dongle (£149), and was trying to set it up, so I aborted it.
I changed to the normal cable, and opted to use the 12v socket instead.
Just occasionally it fails to connect first time but unplugging and re inserting gets it back.
This is easy and safe to do with my left hand, no need to take my eyes off the road, and no more dangerous than changing gear in a manual.
Perhaps your idea of using the rear USB port may provide a more stable signal as it is higher and in the open.
Or the random failure is a Car net problem.
R line DSG in Reef Blue
Rear camera
Park assist
Folding mirrors
Spare wheel

greycross

Post by greycross » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:38 am

I think that the VW dongle connects to the data on the 4G network and presents the datato the car via the USB connector.

My solution the MIFI dongle connects to the data on the 4G network and presents the data to the car via WIFI.

There is a difference here, and I can only guess that when you plugged your dongle in the USB connector that the car was maybe looking for data on the USB, but could be wrong about this ?

In my solution, and also yours when plugged into the ciggy lighter, the dongle is then only using +12v power from the car when ignition is on, so the car must be then connecting to its WIFI to get its data connection.

Al I know is that mine works a treat..

Just to add, I usually wrap mine in a microfibre cloth to stop it rattling and moving about, but I removed that for the photo.
Ordered 25th April 2019
Car at Dealers 15th July