Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner

The car is now 1 year old

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  IWRA 
#1 ·
Having had the car a year next week the first service is due. However under current restrictions the main dealer is closed for all but urgent works, and I'm not too inclined to venture out unnecessarily. I assume there won't be any issues with VW in not meeting the service schedules should it be delayed for a month or two?

Overall I am very happy with the car and it has been very reliable and economical. I have just renewed the road tax at £145.

I've been used to getting a loan car at no cost when previous (not VW) cars have needed work or servicing. Is this something I can expect with VW dealers?

I've had a communication to say that the free breakdown service expires at the end of the first year, this and the 2 year warranty does not compare very favourably with other manufacturers. Any recommendations where I should go for breakdown cover?

Warranty issues with the car that need to be dealt with whilst at the dealers are:-

1. Irritating tick from passenger side A pillar, although I have stuffed some insulating tape in the gap for now.
2. Stop/start cuts out the engine at very low speed in 2nd gear
3. Over sensitive hand on steering wheel warning

See less See more
#2 ·
My wifes car is the same, due its first service in a few weeks.

However, I understand VW will honour any fault claims even though servicing hasn't been done according to schedule, what else can they say, its a totally unprecedented situation.
We will book my wifes car in as soon as possible, once things get back to normal.

The only issue we had was the noisy A pillar but I fixed it myself. Took 5 minutes to pop the A pillar cover off and place some material tape at the bottom of it.....now its totally silent.

#3 ·
VW are not too bothered if you delay your service. On my previous GTI I had delayed a service over a month and they never said anything. Warranty is not affected unless you don't service it at all.

#4 ·
When my breakdown runs out I will revert to car insurance add on. I'm with LV, car, home and travel insurance. On the 2 occasions I've needed them (once each for breakdown and holiday) I found their service first rate.

#5 ·
Although 2 or 3 years cover when bought new should have been included , in my view.

#6 ·
Is it really needed?

I had a Passat from new for 2 years, then swopped to my Tiguan, 5 years old tomorrow had it from new. Misses had an up for 2 years, and a polo for 3 years all from new, now on her Cross. Never once had a problem requiring breakdown or recovery.

I know some people have had problems with new Tiguan's and T-Rocs, but these mostly manifest pretty early on. If it hasn't broken down in its First year it'll probably run and run.

#7 ·
I just got this from VWs website

If I miss my scheduled service due to COVID-19 does this invalidate my warranty?

If your service is carried out late due to disruption caused by COVID-19, the servicing delay will not invalidate your vehicle's warranty. What's most important is to get the service done as soon as you can, so please contact your local retailer to discuss availability and options, eg collection and delivery, and any specific concerns you may have.

#8 ·
Tricky2 said:
Is it really needed?

I had a Passat from new for 2 years, then swopped to my Tiguan, 5 years old tomorrow had it from new. Misses had an up for 2 years, and a polo for 3 years all from new, now on her Cross. Never once had a problem requiring breakdown or recovery.

I know some people have had problems with new Tiguan's and T-Rocs, but these mostly manifest pretty early on. If it hasn't broken down in its First year it'll probably run and run.
In hindsight a good point. My previous car was older, but more importantly, only had a tyre repair kit. Now with a new car and spare wheel probably a different situation.

#9 ·
I took the car in on Friday for the first service (oil change and car inspection), it took 2 hours. They wanted £20 for a loan car so I decided to do the shopping locally whilst I waited.

They did the dash/A pillar noise problem saying it had to be tackled from behind the glove box not by removing the A pillar and putting some insulation in, time will tell whether it worked.

They said there is no software update fix for the stop/start cutting out the engine at very low speed in 2nd gear and an over sensitive hand on steering wheel warning which I have registered as defects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.