AIR CON

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
Jonblue

AIR CON

Post by Jonblue » Sat May 23, 2020 9:08 am

Not fully T CROSS related but perhaps valid nevertheless. I found this question/answer in Honest John column this morning interesting,

QUESTION: Can a car sitting around stationary cause the air con to break?

ANSWER: Most air conditioning problems in cars are caused by lack of use, usually because the driver has switched the system off during the winter/colder months. Air con systems in cars are not designed to be used in this way. They should be switched on 100% of the time, otherwise the joints dry out and allow the refrigerant gas to escape. In the worst cases (if the air con has been switched off for a very long time) the compressor will seize and fail.

I always thought it was ok to run air con occasionally to keep everything lubricated in the belief that running it on every journey could considerably increase fuel usage. I must admit, I always turn Air con on nowadays owing to infrequent use of car.

R line DSG 115 in Makena Turquoise
Electric mirrors
Sound Beats system,
Active Info display
Rear camera

Digitalracer

Re: AIR CON

Post by Digitalracer » Sat May 23, 2020 5:00 pm

I have been running mine once a week to keep any seals lubricated. My understanding is once the car is on a straight stretch of road the extra fuel consumption is negligible, just uses more in stop/start traffic.
SEL DSG Energetic orange, keyless entry, folding mirrors, auto headlights, chrome strip on boot, spacesaver, Park assist and 17" Clayton alloys. Ordered 25th July, expected delivery 30th September. Collection mid October.

Halin9

Post by Halin9 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:56 pm

Interesting comments..!... I must admit that I only switch air con on occasionally ,say, once a week, and then only for short periods..!.. Mental note " must use more often"...!

SouthOzi

Post by SouthOzi » Sun May 24, 2020 6:54 am

I have had air conditioning in every car I have had over the last 45 years and never switched it off, and also never had a problem with them. Admittedly I know people whoh have had problems with seals leaking, however I don't know anybody who switches them off either. In the winter a/c stops the windows fogging up so makes driving safer, and obviously in summer time we have them going all the time. I know if we have our temp dialled down to about 19 in the summer, the a/c is working a fair bit, but that's why they are there. Any time we get in the car after a shopping stint in the summer, it would be around 60 C for a few minutes before the a/c pulls the temp down. That's when your a/c would affect you MPG while it is working that hard. We might hav e v a slightly bigger compressor and condenser on our models over here to help cool a bit more gas to handle the higher summer temperatures. I am not sure how much the MPG varies with or without the a/c, I never worry about it. The only time I touch the switches is to close the inlet and go to recirculate if there is a smoky car just in front.

rarrar

Post by rarrar » Mon May 25, 2020 1:28 pm

On my Mk4 Golf with Climate Control, I could see no significant difference in mpg on my standard 30 min commute - mixed roads - with it on or disabled.
Of course its never that hot up here in the North !
T-Cross SEL 1.0 , foldable mirrors, spare wheel, high beam assist, info display, towbar in Turquoise.
To replace L&K 1.4tsi Yeti .
Cumbria

LucyAlan

Re: AIR CON & CAR STALLS in 2nd GEAR

Post by LucyAlan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:01 pm

The Air Con in my TCross SE failed 3 months ago with CV19 I have only just had it looked at to be safe for me to take it to the garage.I also have an intermittent fault that the car stalls in 2nd gear ie if I am driving around a roundabout or turning left when I am not actually accelerating. Booked it in to one of the recommended VW garages in Maidenhead this Monday, when I dropped it off was told the air con fault was more than likely due to a stone damaging the compressor and that this would not be covered under the warranty and chargeable. After having the car for 6 hours I was told they had not been able to carry out any checks as the car battery was not full charged so they would charge the battery overnight. When I queried why they needed full battery power to check the air con I was told they would look at it and call me back in an hour. An hour later I was told good news the Compressor had failed and as there was no stone damage it would be covered under the warranty but as the mechanic had to remove the bumper to change the compressor they would need the car for another day. When I picked up the car today was told they had replaced a wire connection and the compressor was ok. The air con seems to be working again now fingers crossed it stays like that. Has anyone else had problems with their air con or stalling in 2nd gear?

LucyAlan

Post by LucyAlan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:08 pm

Also meant to say when I picked up the car the garage said they could not drive the vehicle to check the stalling issue due to CV19. As I drove away 1/2 mile down the road the car stalled coming up to a roundabout in 2nd gear, its scary at first but it always seems to burst into life when I put my foot down on the clutch!