Ceco display and coasting with DSG

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
Tricky2

Ceco display and coasting with DSG

Post by Tricky2 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:58 am

I have a major gripe with the "eco inside a circle" icon and coasting when you have DSG.

I have a 2020 year VW T-Cross R-line 115ps DSG. One of it’s features is coasting, where it disconnects the engine and gearbox whilst driving. All this I understand as I have this also on my 2015 Tiguan DSG. However the Tiguan is straightforward, lift off the accelerator, The car disengages drive and start coasting. Gear display switches from D+number to D showing the car is effectively out of gear.

However with the T-Cross I’ve failed to determine the conditions when this happens. I can see it happen, gear selection looses the gear number, just showing D, and eco in a circle appears on the dashboard. However, it appears inconsistent, I can be driving along, lift off the accelerator and it starts coasting, I reapply drive and it reengages gear. Moments later I lift off again and it doesn’t coast! I can keep to a set driving style, maintaining the same speed, and the car will and will not coast seemingly randomly.

It’s not specific to a speed, a range of gears, or any other condition that I have been able to determine. It’s driving me mad as I cannot determine with any predictability when or where the car will enter coasting.

The manual is no help either as it simply says coasting exists, within a speed range not even mentioning the eco light. Where it does mention the eco light it doesn’t mention coasting, simply the car is in eco mode! The manual also suggests you can switch the mode on and off, but in mine certainly you can’t.

Anybody else being driven mad by this?
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG

Halin9

Re: Ceco display and coasting with DSG

Post by Halin9 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:13 pm

Didn't even know it did that..!....must check..

Daytel

Post by Daytel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:07 pm

I found the icon coming on in the info display a distraction at first, but have got accustom to ignoring it now.
Don’t really see the point to be honest,
R line DSG in Reef Blue
Rear camera
Park assist
Folding mirrors
Spare wheel

Digitalracer

Post by Digitalracer » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:56 pm

Yes, Tricky2, I've noticed exactly the same. Glad you brought it up, here's hoping for definitive answer.
SEL DSG Energetic orange, keyless entry, folding mirrors, auto headlights, chrome strip on boot, spacesaver, Park assist and 17" Clayton alloys. Ordered 25th July, expected delivery 30th September. Collection mid October.

Jacket

Post by Jacket » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:53 pm

I've never seen mine to show just D and this generally sounds confusing. Could be something VW tried in past models and got rid of in the newer ones. I highly doubt that the gearbox will disengage the drivetrain when you just coast as this will be both inefficient and dangerous. It's just that those small engines provide almost no engine braking (could also be intentional, I don't know), so you can can generally coast for longer than with older cars. If you need an engine brake on a long descent, switch to S or even manual to keep it in lower gear.

And about the "Eco" blip, I think it just flashes when you complete a whole "circle" (which is something like a minute) while diving within a certain "eco" specifications (light acceleration and braking and more coasting). I don't think it's directly related to coasting or engine/gearbox state.

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:11 pm

Nope to all above, mine's a 2020 model year. Coasting is more efficient, as the engine revs are lowered to idle. Braking and control, drive re-engages instantly you touch accelerator, brake or if paddle shift either paddle.

"If you need an engine brake on a long descent, switch to S or even manual to keep it in lower gear." absolutely, but coasting's the reverse you want no engine holding the car back.

If you've DSG keep an eye out for it when you lift off the accelerator completely. As I say it's not consistent, hence my query, but it does happen. Check in the manual, though it's very little information.

Jacket

Post by Jacket » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:56 am

Mine is the same as yours - R-Line DSG 115, but it's 2019 model. 11k miles on it now, never felt it disengaging the drivetrain while coasting and I am sure I can't miss this. It's always in gear unless I manually select N. It likes to stay at very low revs though (as low as 1500 rpm), so usually any slight press on the throttle will kickdown immediately, usually from 7th to 4th.

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:32 am

Do you tend to drive the box in sport? In Drive ours is quite reluctant to kick down. The engage disengage, you don't feel a thing the box does it so smoothly. It only happens in drive, nit sport.

Jacket

Post by Jacket » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:47 am

It's as if we are talking about different cars. I drive almost only in D. Sport is a bit too twitchy for everyday driving for me. But in D, the gearbox is trying its best to stay between 1500 and 2000 rpm, which leads to frequent kickdowns on even the mildest acceleration.

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:19 pm

Maybe it's the driver not the car :-) must admit I do tend to drive for economy so tend to be quite light on the pedal. I also tend to use the paddle to drop down if needed rather than increasing the accelerator. These boxes do learn the drivers styles so effectively your car could be different to mine.