10mph door locking help

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
SteveP56

10mph door locking help

Post by SteveP56 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:08 pm

Two days into ownership and we have a serious problem already. this may also be a warning to anyone who has not bought a T-Cross yet.

Apparently it is not possible to stop the car doors locking at 10 mph and my wife is one near miss away from a "locked in" panic attack.

I am hoping someone on the forum can prove me wrong but the dealer says it is not possible. Dealers are however regularly confirming that they know nothing about the cars they sell and I hope that this is the case.

I am very annoyed that VW seems to see fit to take control of how I use my car, having the auto locking feature available to use is one thing but I will decide if I want to make use of the feature, making it's use compulsory is NOT acceptable. If I can't sort this it will mean the end of the car.
SEL 1.5 DSG in Pure White, Rear camera, Keyless entry, Active info display

SteveP56

Re: 10mph door locking help

Post by SteveP56 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:10 pm

OOPS!
Done something wrong there perhaps moderator can delet one of the copies

Ffiscool

Post by Ffiscool » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:13 pm

a question, did you test drive? i only ask, as if you didn't notice it in the test drive, then perhaps there is a way of overriding it?
Had lovely T Cross SEL DSG - Limestone Grey

Space saver tyre and kit for sale

Ffiscool

Post by Ffiscool » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:15 pm

another thought, as soon as it happens, does using the unlock button, keep it unlocked, or does it lock again

Halin9

Post by Halin9 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:48 pm

Why is it a problem..?.. It only stops the doors from being opened from the outside...doors still open from the inside, so you can't be locked in.!

AussieJohn

Post by AussieJohn » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:09 pm

It's a safety feature to stop carjacking at traffic lights and the like, and does ,in no way hinder an occupants exit from the vehicle. The doors can still be opened in the normal way. Personally, having had them on an Audi previously, I was comforted by the secure feeling. I will be taking delivery of a new T Cross shortly and look forward to enjoying this security.

SteveP56

Post by SteveP56 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:37 pm

In answer

You can unlock the doors but they re-lock whenever you next go above 10mph.

We did test drive, and believe me one of the first questions my wife asked was could it be turned off, the dealer said yes it could. This is what we expected because it always could be turned off on all previously owned cars (numerous VWs included) and we would not have bought the car if it could not. Even the dealer technicians did not know that the menu function to turn it off had been removed as they tried to instruct us in disabling it.

It is a problem because my wife has been rescued from a car on fire in an accident and now panics when she is locked in, more importantly rescuers are locked out. No amount of re assurance about how "you can still get out" (if you are conscious of course) is going to help. The dealer was just one step short of telling her not to be silly, so I have heard all these comments very recently.

I know why it is there, what I don't understand is why VW think it OK to remove the option to disable it. I am sure that it suits some people and their car menu won't be cluttered by the tick box to turn it off.

rarrar

Post by rarrar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:43 pm

I thought the door lock disabled under certain conditions in an accident ?
But must admit I cant find any reference to this now !!!
Last edited by rarrar on Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T-Cross SEL 1.0 , foldable mirrors, spare wheel, high beam assist, info display, removable tow-bar, in Turquoise.
To replace L&K 1.4tsi Yeti .
Cumbria

Ffiscool

Post by Ffiscool » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:46 pm

I’d say if you feel you can’t keep the car, you should think of explaining to the dealer how you were told it could be disabled, that’s the only reason you did buy.

Or contact head office. It could even count as possibly mis-selling, not sure.

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:09 pm

Have you checked it's not in the locking menu settings?

If not it can be given a menu option to turn off with VCDS or OBDeleven coding. Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby who can code will be able to help you.

Bizarrely, my misses 2016 Polo did not do this. She liked having the feature so I coded it in for her.

You probably just need to code in the last line, the menu item

Drive away locking enable

Locking Door up to 15 km/h
Select Control unit 09 (Central Electrics)
Control unit Long Coding

Automatisches verriegeln bei geschwindig keit Automatic driveway locking
Automatish entriegeln Automatic unlocking (ignition off)

Menues telerung zv autounlock/lock Automatic lock/unlock menu in car settings
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG