10mph door locking help

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
SteveP56

Re: 10mph door locking help

Post by SteveP56 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:05 pm

The doors will (supposedly) unlock if the air bag is deployed but what if you are taken ill and manage to stop the car, then no airbag.

There is a company in Nottingham that I have used before to install Bluetooth & cruise on various VW group cars and hopefully they are going to have a look at the coding this week. We went straight back to the dealer when I could not find the menu option and as I mentioned before they could not find it, tried connecting to the car to re code it and could not and finally put a tech support question to VW and the answer was NO it can not be disabled.

If we have no luck with the above then we will have to have a conversation with the dealer.
SEL 1.5 DSG in Pure White, Rear camera, Keyless entry, Active info display

glint.bladesong

Post by glint.bladesong » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Apparently it is not possible to stop the car doors locking at 10 mph and my wife is one near miss away from a "locked in" panic attack.
Given that you know that the doors are be opened from the inside even when they are auto locked (or at least I hope you know this), I presume the issue is that your wide is legitimately worried that in the case of an accident outside help will not be able to open the doors to aid her as they will be locked.

I'll see if I can dig further, but I am almost certain I read something along the lines of the doors auto unlocking as part of the preventative safety measure if the car detects an accident. It is part of the suite of controls that does things like pretension the seat belts, triggers the air bags etc, I believe it also winds down the windows an certain amount. Having a read in the manual in the section that talks about that stuff might shed some more light on it.

As I understand it, the car
  • auto locks above 10mph for safety reasons
    allows any passenger to exit the vehicle regardless (its locked only on the outside)
    auto unlocks when it detects an accident.
EDIT you posted seconds before I did :)
The doors will (supposedly) unlock if the air bag is deployed but what if you are taken ill and manage to stop the car, then no airbag.
Then in that very unlikely event they break a window. If the event of someone becoming so ill that they are unresponsive in the vehicle is more then "very unlikely" then doesn't it become more of a danger to drive in the first place?

That aside, it is your car and if you don't want the locks to auto arm you should be able to disable that, with that I agree.
I have a T-Cross Style (Australian version) in Energetic orange. 3cylinder DSG.
We call it Harvey.

SteveP56

Post by SteveP56 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:51 pm

The fact is that there is no rationalising with somebody who has had a bad experience in a car accident and fire. We have had the car for three days now and my wife dreads the sound of the locks as we drive away.
I am an electronics engineer by trade and given the choice, even I would not have it turned on, of all the electronics systems in the world I would trust car based ones the least. We live in a rural area, I don't imagine that the T-Cross is high on the list of car jack targets (most determined carjackers carry automatic centre punches so they are straight through the window anyway) and if i was ever to feel uneasy (maybe in an unknown city late at night) the lock button is right there on the door.
This feature on the car is very useful for those people that trust the electronics and want to use it but in my opinion it comes under the category of convenience features and for VW to make it compulsory if you want to own one of their cars is a step too far.

Ffiscool

Post by Ffiscool » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 pm

I suppose another question is, do all cars now have it, can any be turned off?

But also is it perhaps on its own cable or connection that locks the door. Could that cable etc be disconnected. If it doesn’t interfere with any other functions
Had lovely T Cross SEL DSG - Limestone Grey

Space saver tyre and kit for sale

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:57 pm

Steve, as an electronics engineer you should find it easy to get to grips with OBDeleven, at around £70 you can code this out yourself. I can check on ours the coding i've suggested.
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:55 pm

OK, good news is it's easily achievable!

Menu before:

20200726_133405.jpg

Menu After:

20200726_134553.jpg

Note, the menu item is already there, I've not added anything, I've just change an available setting to make it visible and active.

I used OBDEleven, fairly cheap to purchase. I use the Android version, there is an IOS version out now, how well this version works I don't know. I use it on my tablet a basic wifi tablet, tpp needs access to the internet but mine picks up the home wifi outside in the drive. OBDEleven is a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the diagnostic port just under the edge of the dash by your right knee.

Connect to it, connect to the car, and it shows all the modules available. the module you need is 09 Central Electronics.

Select Control unit 09 (Central Electrics)

Screenshot_20200726-134646_OBDeleven.jpg

Select ADAPTATION
Scroll down the VERY LONG list until you find ZV Autolock and select

Screenshot_20200726-134629_OBDeleven.jpg

You get several settings,

Screenshot_20200726-134439_OBDeleven.jpg

the bottom is Menuesteuerung_ZV_Autolock-Unlock
Select this and you get 4 choices

Screenshot_20200726-134503_OBDeleven.jpg

Not Active – set as default
Visible_only
Adjustable
3_not_defined

I set to Adjustable
Press and Hold the green tick to save,
When it prompts for security code Enter 31347
Written away, now menu option is visible!

That's it, all done you can go back into the menu, untick it and have a happy misses!

Good luck.

P.S. Did a test drive, tick off drove down the road no locking of the doors. Stopped, tick on, drove back and doors locked.
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG

Kugaman

Post by Kugaman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:51 pm

Well done Ticky2, fantastic how helpful you have been for another forum member!

Now.....can you figure out how to keep lane assist from turning back on every time we get in my wife’s car?
Wifes got a T-cross 115 First Edition

SteveP56

Post by SteveP56 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:20 pm

Ffiscool wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 pm
I suppose another question is, do all cars now have it, can any be turned off?

My 2020 Touareg ordered after the T-Cross, allows the feature to be disabled exactly like every other VW I have ever owned.

But also is it perhaps on its own cable or connection that locks the door. Could that cable etc be disconnected. If it doesn’t interfere with any other functions
I think the car systems are all interlinked, I could no doubt disconnect the door solenoids but would loose central locking altogether.

SteveP56

Post by SteveP56 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:25 pm

Tricky2 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:55 pm
OK, good news is it's easily achievable!

Menu before:
20200726_133405.jpg

Menu After:
20200726_134553.jpg

Note, the menu item is already there, I've not added anything, I've just change an available setting to make it visible and active.

I used OBDEleven, fairly cheap to purchase. I use the Android version, there is an IOS version out now, how well this version works I don't know. I use it on my tablet a basic wifi tablet, tpp needs access to the internet but mine picks up the home wifi outside in the drive. OBDEleven is a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the diagnostic port just under the edge of the dash by your right knee.

Connect to it, connect to the car, and it shows all the modules available. the module you need is 09 Central Electronics.

Select Control unit 09 (Central Electrics)
Screenshot_20200726-134646_OBDeleven.jpg
Select ADAPTATION
Scroll down the VERY LONG list until you find ZV Autolock and select
Screenshot_20200726-134629_OBDeleven.jpg
You get several settings,
Screenshot_20200726-134439_OBDeleven.jpg
the bottom is Menuesteuerung_ZV_Autolock-Unlock
Select this and you get 4 choices
Screenshot_20200726-134503_OBDeleven.jpg
Not Active – set as default
Visible_only
Adjustable
3_not_defined

I set to Adjustable
Press and Hold the green tick to save,
When it prompts for security code Enter 31347
Written away, now menu option is visible!

That's it, all done you can go back into the menu, untick it and have a happy misses!

Good luck.

P.S. Did a test drive, tick off drove down the road no locking of the doors. Stopped, tick on, drove back and doors locked.
Thank you very much for that and for spending your time investigating. That is very encouraging.

Ffiscool

Post by Ffiscool » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:29 pm

So good when things can be sorted
Had lovely T Cross SEL DSG - Limestone Grey

Space saver tyre and kit for sale