New T-Cross owner : advices needed

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
craymore

New T-Cross owner : advices needed

Post by craymore » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:53 pm

Hello folks 8-)

Having driven a VW Polo 9N for the last 17 years ( yes ... ), I have traded it for VW T-Cross 2020 ( United variant ) two days ago

Here are a few specs of the variant I own :

• 115HP / DSG 7
  • Lane assist + Park assist
  • ACC and Front assist
  • automatic wipers and headlights
  • Infotainment Composition Media ( 8" screen )
  • Climatronic
  • spare tyre ( hell yes ! )
That's quite a leap ahead regarding the embeded technology, and altough I managed to figure out a few things myself ( with the help of the manual ), there are still some mysteries :?:

Manual

Is there an electronic version of the T-cross user guide and the infotainment system we can download ? ( I have a hard copy of the user guide, but not a single brochure about the infotainment system :( )

Cruise Control

The CC has two mode : ACC or speed limiter.

I found that the ACC often triggers the brakes unecessarily :cry: ... and would therefore like to know if there's a hidden option to switch it to "standard CC" ( ie : simply maintain the speed ) ?

Driving Mode

I noticed different behaviours with the DSG, but I don't understand what makes the computer decide what to do.

Here's an example :

• driving down a road with a little slope, in automatic / Drive mode, no CC. Foot of the throttle pedal, the info screen displays "Coasting" and fuel consumption indicates 0. That seems logical ✓
  • driving on the highway @ 130kph, in automatic / Drive mode, no CC. Foot of the throttle pedal, the info screen displays a little "Eco" sign and the clutch gets disengaged ( i.e : engine keeps running @ 800rpm while the car is in free wheeling ). Why doesn't the "Coasting" behaviour apply here ? I don't understand the logic behind this :shock:
Infotainment

Is there a way to mute the radio while using Android Car Play ? :?

Thanks beforehand for your answers !
T-Cross United / 1.0L DSG

Tricky2

Re: New T-Cross owner : advices needed

Post by Tricky2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:25 pm

Ok electronic manual, I can only refer to the UK where it's on the VW Web site under owner information. (you say 130 kmph which makes me think you're not UK) though I have to say the infotainment manual is pretty basic, it leaves a lot for you to find out for yourself.

ACC no there's not a fixed cruise control, being able to brake when it detects a car ahead is considered better. However, if you think it's braking too early you can adjust the distance it's following. If you press the button in the middle of the left set on the steering wheel, the icon in the middle screen for the car ahead changes to a set of lines. If you use the + -either side you can increase or reduce the following distance, bars go further away or closer to you (you have to be quite quick or it goes back to normal). In the settings under car you can also adjust how it responds once the car ahead is not detected from standard to sport.

First time I tried ACC it was really scary letting it slow down to a stop, all I could manage to not override and brake myself!

Driving mode, interesting yours says coasting. What you're referring to in both examples is coasting, however mine only ever shows the eco symbol. (check out an earlier thread I started on Ceco ) and yes the logic as to when it coasts is uncertain, it may do it repeatedly, then not when you're expecting it.

Android car play I'll leave to someone else, never used it!
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG

craymore

Post by craymore » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi, thanks for your answer !

Indeed I'm not from UK ( I'm from Luxemburg ) ;)

I tried to download the manual from https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/manuals, but I got an error message saying my VIN code is incorrect, while it's correct :( ( maybe it's only for VIN codes registered in the UK )

Your comment about changing the ACC behaviour when the car ahead isn't detected is interesting : I don't remember having seen such option in the car settings, but I'll look carefuly.

Cheers

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:38 pm

Try this VIN WVGZZZC1ZLY044701 it's based on my VIN with the serial changed so ought to work as it's a UK number.

glint.bladesong

Post by glint.bladesong » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:45 am

Your comment about changing the ACC behaviour when the car ahead isn't detected is interesting : I don't remember having seen such option in the car settings, but I'll look carefuly.
Couple of things with the ACC I have noticed:
  • The distance the ACC maintains is speed related, when set to its closest setting the distance to the car infront is much greater when I am going 100kph then when I am doing 50, which makes sense, but something to consider.
  • In the Car Menu settings, you can set the distance to 5 different levels and also set it to always default back to that setting (if you change it via the steering wheel), or to remember you last chosen setting.
  • The ACC works very well but I have noticed that it cannot pick up stationary vehicles. For example you are coming up to the lights, the light are red and a car is already stopped there, if you have ACC enabled it does not seem to "See" the stationary car and it will not stop of its own accord. If you are following a car and that car slows down to a stop the ACC Will stop quite happily, it just doesnt "see" already stationary vehicles (Can anyone else confirm this? OR it it an issue with my vehicle?).
  • You can also change how "aggressive" the ACC accelerates (on my car at least). On my car the settings are "Eco", Comfort", Normal" and "Sport"
I have a T-Cross Style (Australian version) in Energetic orange. 3cylinder DSG.
We call it Harvey.

SteveP56

Post by SteveP56 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:17 pm

On the subject of Eco & Coasting our car sometimes (and I have not worked out rhyme nor reason as to when) as well as the Eco symbol comes up with the message "2 cylinder mode" in the Instrument cluster, very gruff engine. Left me wondering which 2 cylinders it is using or does it alternate and can it lift the valves on the unused cylinders.
SEL 1.5 DSG in Pure White, Rear camera, Keyless entry, Active info display

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:38 pm

Somewhere on the VW site there's an article on it, yes the valves get lifted so they stay open and the pistons are thus freewheeling I seem to remember the middle 2 go to sleep. Must admit on my son's Seat Leon it was imperceptible when they went offline.

craymore

Post by craymore » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:04 pm

Tricky2 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:38 pm
Try this VIN WVGZZZC1ZLY044701 it's based on my VIN with the serial changed so ought to work as it's a UK number.

Thanks, it worked 8-)

glint.bladesong wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:45 am

Couple of things with the ACC I have noticed:
  • The distance the ACC maintains is speed related, when set to its closest setting the distance to the car infront is much greater when I am going 100kph then when I am doing 50, which makes sense, but something to consider.
  • The ACC works very well but I have noticed that it cannot pick up stationary vehicles. For example you are coming up to the lights, the light are red and a car is already stopped there, if you have ACC enabled it does not seem to "See" the stationary car and it will not stop of its own accord. If you are following a car and that car slows down to a stop the ACC Will stop quite happily, it just doesnt "see" already stationary vehicles (Can anyone else confirm this? OR it it an issue with my vehicle?).
  • You can also change how "aggressive" the ACC accelerates (on my car at least). On my car the settings are "Eco", Comfort", Normal" and "Sport"

Interesting, I didn't know ACC distance was related to speed, but it totally makes sense

About ACC not being able to "see" the stationary vehicles, it's one of the item that the system is unable to deal with : it's one of the items listed in the user guide, along with pedestrians, animals etc.

SteveP56 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:17 pm
On the subject of Eco & Coasting our car sometimes (and I have not worked out rhyme nor reason as to when) as well as the Eco symbol comes up with the message "2 cylinder mode" in the Instrument cluster, very gruff engine. Left me wondering which 2 cylinders it is using or does it alternate and can it lift the valves on the unused cylinders.

I had only heard about specific cylinder cut-off so far during a detection of a spark plug misfire ( ie : the ECU would switch off oposite cylinder on symetrical engines to limit the vibrations )

However, it's pretty standard on race cars for fuel economy, so it's pretty cool if they've introduced this feature :ugeek:

NB : This has to be specific to the 1.5L / 4 cylinder engine though ( I mean, if 2 cylinders are switched off on the 1.0L / 3 cylinder engine, I doubt it would still be running :mrgreen: )

SteveP56

Post by SteveP56 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:17 am

330cc single...It would be fine

SteveP56

Post by SteveP56 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:27 am

Tricky2 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:38 pm
Somewhere on the VW site there's an article on it, yes the valves get lifted so they stay open and the pistons are thus freewheeling I seem to remember the middle 2 go to sleep. Must admit on my son's Seat Leon it was imperceptible when they went offline.
Just had a quick look and found the article

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/engines/petrol

It looks like the valves stay closed which surprised me, perhaps they would hit the pistons! there must be some strange vacuum compression going on in the unused cylinders.

The video in the article shows it quite well