is it me?

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
kevin53

is it me?

Post by kevin53 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:13 pm

i love my t cross sel dsg ..but ..and i dont know if its me but low speed driving in town in drive mode i get vibration through the car and accelerating from 30 even with your foot down its reluctant to change down gear and its not exactly rapid
in sports mode its just the opposite ! trouble is the throttle seems more responsive and if you give it too much it really seems to take off !
i guess its all a learning curve ,maybe ill try it in manual at low speeds maybe thats the answer...

Tricky2

Re: is it me?

Post by Tricky2 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:35 pm

Not sure about vibration, but definitely reluctant to change down. I have found over the 9 months we've had it, as the engine has freed up, and it's come to 'learn' my driving that it's much better and more flexible. Does yours have the paddle shifts? I find these great for overriding it to shift down.
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG

kevin53

Post by kevin53 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:31 pm

no im afraid it doesnt have paddle shifts i have to use the stick im afraid
im running in the engine right now .not going over 60 mph for first 600 then ill go to 70 for next 400 as it says in handbook
maybe engine is just settling down and the vibrations will stop at a later date ?

tcross

Post by tcross » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:01 am

I am just leaving a polo 115 DSG and i had that car for 2 years now. the DSG is learning your driving style ..it really is. you will find over the next few weeks you wont even notice its adapting to you, but it is and fairly quickly it will turn into your best friend (as long as auto start stop is off). It truly is a fantastic gearbox. I think worth every penny of the 1500-1600 quid it costs as well as the minor loss of 1 or 2 MPG. I am not taking it up on my t-cross because of the auto start stop issue, I hope i dont regret it.

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:28 am

kevin53 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:31 pm
no im afraid it doesnt have paddle shifts i have to use the stick im afraid
im running in the engine right now .not going over 60 mph for first 600 then ill go to 70 for next 400 as it says in handbook
maybe engine is just settling down and the vibrations will stop at a later date ?
You don't need to worry so much the specific speed, as working it too hard when new. By all means drive at all speeds but not heavy acceleration, definitely vary engine revs, the worst thing is keeping constant revs so a wear pattern sets in.

The vibration may be you're being TOO gentle and letting it stay at too High a gear. Encourage it to change down earlier by switching to manual and changing down, and it'll start to learn that's how you like to drive.

I've done this with my last 5 cars from new, my Tiguan is 5 1/2 years old, 42k mikes and goes like a dream, and trouble free.

Re paddles, My Tig hasn't got the paddle shifts so when I shift back from The Cross I miss them now :-)
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG

Digitalracer

Post by Digitalracer » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:10 am

Tricky2 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:35 pm
Not sure about vibration, but definitely reluctant to change down. I have found over the 9 months we've had it, as the engine has freed up, and it's come to 'learn' my driving that it's much better and more flexible. Does yours have the paddle shifts? I find these great for overriding it to shift down.
I remember correctly people were getting paddles with the SE in at least the early stages but not the SEL, which is a shame 😢 I usually spend most of my time in Sport mode, which works well (did get wheelspin a couple of times early on) and with fuel consumption of over 46 with mostly short journeys am quite happy.
SEL DSG Energetic orange, keyless entry, folding mirrors, auto headlights, chrome strip on boot, spacesaver, Park assist and 17" Clayton alloys. Ordered 25th July, expected delivery 30th September. Collection mid October.