Misted windscreen

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
Jonblue

Misted windscreen

Post by Jonblue » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:34 am

In today's Honest John column, someone complained at the time it took to demist their windscreen. They switched on air con for a while but then turned it off thinking that it would increase fuel cost -- must admit I am guilty of that! My T Cross is not brilliant in terms of demisting but better than my old Audi and I was interested to see that Honest John said that Air Con should be left on all the times as I cannot see mention of this in our handbook -- comments?

Honest John rely - The air conditioning should never be switched off. The car's ventilation system is designed to operate with the air-con switched on 100 per cent of the time, with the air conditioning emitting dry air that demists the windows and prevents them from misting up again. Switching off the air-con for long periods will result in the joints drying out and the refrigerant gas escaping. You will also risk compressor sizing up.

R line DSG 115 in Makena Turquoise
Electric mirrors
Sound Beats system,
Active Info display
Rear camera

robby71

Re: Misted windscreen

Post by robby71 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:53 pm

I hardly ever use air-con due to noticeable power drain (switch it on when on a steep incline), getting a dry throat.
I know you're supposed to use it every now and then to keep the seals from cracking but i've never heard it has to be on all the time - if this is the case then why is there a ON/OFF button?
R-Line 115 manual in white