"Brake" alert in instrument display

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
neilmanc

"Brake" alert in instrument display

Post by neilmanc » Tue May 04, 2021 1:07 pm

Hi

Driving back down the motorway this afternoon, and as the OH was driving there was a loud high pitched beep from the instrument display and the text "Brake" with a circle symbol and what looked like brake pads beside the circle displayed in the rectangular display section between the rev counter and speedo. None of the red or amber warning signs came on as far as we could tell - just white text saying Brake and the symbol. It was only displayed for a second or so.

Any suggestions ?

Didn't feel like a fault warning symbol suggesting an issue with the brakes, and the car was braking absolutely fine immediately after and for the remaining 100 or so miles of the journey, so wondered if it was the Front Assist system telling the driver to brake ? Never had that before so no idea how Front Assist deploys / warns / activates. Having said that we weren't that close to anything in front that I would have thought would have necessitated braking, though it was drizzly rain and wind so wondered if something had blown in front of a sensor ?

Thanks as always for any ideas.
T-Cross United 95 Urano Grey December 2020

Tricky2

Re: "Brake" alert in instrument display

Post by Tricky2 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:38 pm

I've had similar on 2 occasions. It's the front collision detect, it's decided there's something ahead. My first case at a roundabout light controlled, no other vehicles ahead of me and it decided there was imminent danger as i pulled away onto an open empty road. (those of a certain age: Danger will Robinson!)
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I had Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG for 6 years, currently Volvo XC40 AWD mild hybrid

neilmanc

Re: "Brake" alert in instrument display

Post by neilmanc » Sat May 08, 2021 10:45 am

Thanks Tricky. That's what we had assumed it would be given that none of the warning lights came on, though looking in the manual there is supposed to be a red Front Assist light which displays when it senses something. Having said that, neither of us could rationalise any reason why the system would activate as we were on a motorway at the time movign from L3 to L2 with nothing anywhere near in front. It was raining at the time, so perhaps the same reason why the ACC and Front Assist sensors sometimes fail when the weather is a bit off.
T-Cross United 95 Urano Grey December 2020