Battery problems

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
AussieJohn

Battery problems

Post by AussieJohn » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:53 pm

Hi All, recently my 9 month old R Line T Cross had been doing a number of short runs and I thought that the battery may be be weakened, so we took it on an inter city trip of 110km. On going to restart it failed and after a C-Tek charger was hooked up we got it going again. A week later it failed again, but after trying to start for a few minutes it miraculously kicked in. I took it to my VW dealer who kept the car overnight to monitor battery loss and/or scan for other issues. Sure enough the battery had failed and it was replaced under warranty. The verdict? This car was produced at the start of the COVID 19 outbreak in Februry 2020, I took delivery in September 2020. ( Long transit times from Spain to Australia) The battery is at least 16 months old plus a lead time from it's charging and placing in the car during manufacture. It could be nearly two years old. If you have battery issues raise them with your dealer early on. I now feel comfortable with Winter just starting in Australia when it's the hardest time for a battery. Cheers-John.

GeoBog

Re: Battery problems

Post by GeoBog » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:23 am

This is a good point actually. I noticed the battery on the T-Cross is quite small Ah compared to the car size but I guess 1L engine ... might explain it. I have a Ctek comfort indicator on all my cars to make it easier to connect the charger and the T-Cross one is always flashing red which means battery is below 12.2V. It hasn't skipped any engine start yet but the battery is always running low volts for some reason. I noticed similar issue on my previous MK7 GTI where the battery was always running in the low 12V range even after being fully charged or after a long drive, not sure why VW run these batteries so low. Add a dash cam in the equation and the parking recording stops after less than an hour because the battery voltage is low.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2019 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

AussieJohn

Re: Battery problems

Post by AussieJohn » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:08 pm

Thanks GeoBorg, I'm going to be hooking it up to the C-Tek at regular intervals. Cheers-John