LED Fog Lights

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
greycross

LED Fog Lights

Post by greycross » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:38 pm

I can't quite decide if the Fog lights on my T-Cross SEL are LED or not ?

I would of hoped so, as the rest of the car is full LED's all round in SEL trim.

Next question, if they are not LED's, does anyone know if they can be retrofitted and what would be needed ?

When I initially had a T-Roc on order before I switched it to a T-Cross, I bought some LED's for the fogs as the T-Roc didn't have LED fogs in SEL trim. There are some good guides on the T-Roc forum about what is needed and how to fit them.

Anyone know what the T-Cross has ?
T-Cross SEL 1.0 TSI 6-speed Manual Limestone Grey
Usual SEL kit plus, Active Info, Keyless, Rear Camera, Folding Mirrors & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 25th April 2019
Confirmed Build Week 10th June
Car at Dealers 15th July
Car Collected 1st August 2019

IWRA

Re: LED Fog Lights

Post by IWRA » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:05 pm

Mine are not LED and would like to change them for LED. The manual does not give details of how to access the bulbs.
2019 T-Cross First Edition

IWRA

Post by IWRA » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:20 am

See link below to LED fog lights on the T-Roc forum. I assume the T-Cross fog lights are the same?

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=476
2019 T-Cross First Edition

greycross

Post by greycross » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:39 pm

IWRA wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:20 am
See link below to LED fog lights on the T-Roc forum. I assume the T-Cross fog lights are the same?

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=476
Yep, I saw that a while ago when I originaly had a T-Roc on order..

I actually have a set of those LED's as I bought them to put in the T-Roc, so hoping they now fit the T-Cross.

Had a look today, and not sure how the lamp comes out, looks different to the T-Roc in the guide.
There is a tiny little hole near the fog lights, so maybe poking something in this hole releases the lamp ?

Anyone brave enough to try and retofit LED fog bulbs ?
Usual SEL kit plus, Active Info, Keyless, Rear Camera, Folding Mirrors & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 25th April 2019
Car at Dealers 15th July

VWJohn

Post by VWJohn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:00 pm

I have installed LEDs to replace the H8 bulbs in my fog lights. Access to bulb is via a removable panel in the inner wing, behind the fog light (see handbook for details). Did the same with a Mk2 Tiguan. With that I had no problems, but in the T-Cross I get a warning light on the dash every time I turn them on. Something to do with the canbus I think. Lights work fine but are not recognised by the electronics? They are same LEDs as I fitted to Tiguan - guess the electronics have moved on and can now detect this change. May change back to original bulbs or upgrade H8 bulbs but not LED ones.
R-Line auto in Champagne Silver (looks more like Gold to me!) Folding door mirrors; Winter pack; Keyless entry.

airbaseng

Post by airbaseng » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:28 am

VWJohn wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:00 pm
I have installed LEDs to replace the H8 bulbs in my fog lights. Access to bulb is via a removable panel in the inner wing, behind the fog light (see handbook for details). Did the same with a Mk2 Tiguan. With that I had no problems, but in the T-Cross I get a warning light on the dash every time I turn them on. Something to do with the canbus I think. Lights work fine but are not recognised by the electronics? They are same LEDs as I fitted to Tiguan - guess the electronics have moved on and can now detect this change. May change back to original bulbs or upgrade H8 bulbs but not LED ones.
Try different bulbs with a canbus resistor built in or put a resistor in-line
Join the Facebook Owners Club: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vwtcross

greycross

Post by greycross » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:41 pm

VWJohn wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:00 pm
I have installed LEDs to replace the H8 bulbs in my fog lights.
Access to bulb is via a removable panel in the inner wing, behind the fog light (see handbook for details).
That is interesting to know..

Was it difficult to do, guessing the wheels have to come off ?

I would really appreciate a quick guide on how the bulbs are replaced..

I would like to try the LED's that I bought a while back..

20180808_094410.jpg

Ordered 25th April 2019
Car at Dealers 15th July

VWJohn

Post by VWJohn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:13 am

Its relatively easy. Turn steering onto full lock left to get access to driver's side removable circular panel in inner wing by turning it approx. 1/8th turn, can then get hand in to locate back of existing bulb. Pull off wiring connector by pulling it down and also pressing on tab to unlock it, then turn bulb approx. 1/8th of a turn and remove it. Install new bulb/LED in reverse order. Same process for passenger side. Trust above makes sense!
R-Line auto in Champagne Silver (looks more like Gold to me!) Folding door mirrors; Winter pack; Keyless entry.

greycross

Post by greycross » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:54 pm

VWJohn wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:13 am
Its relatively easy. Turn steering onto full lock left to get access to driver's side removable circular panel in inner wing by turning it approx. 1/8th turn, can then get hand in to locate back of existing bulb. Pull off wiring connector by pulling it down and also pressing on tab to unlock it, then turn bulb approx. 1/8th of a turn and remove it. Install new bulb/LED in reverse order. Same process for passenger side. Trust above makes sense!
Excellent, thankyou..

Can you please confirm the bulb type, are they as I posted earlier ?
Ordered 25th April 2019
Car at Dealers 15th July

greycross

Post by greycross » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:46 pm

VWJohn wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:13 am
Had a look today..

Managed to get the circular panel off from the inner wing liner, not a lot of room though as the wheel was in the way.

Got my hand in the hole and could feel the wiring and the plug on the back of the bulb.
Tried pulling the connector downwards, but couldn't get it off, seemed fairly tight, especially as wasn't sure where the tab was to release the connector.

Can you remember whether the tab was on either side or on the back of connector facing the access hole ?

Would be inrerested to know so I can give it another go.

Thanks
Ordered 25th April 2019
Car at Dealers 15th July