Tech info for gearheads

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Cross
gavinvanpopering

Tech info for gearheads

Post by gavinvanpopering » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:43 pm

As a continuation of petrol head post, here is something for guys interested in the manual gearbox

https://procarmanuals.com/vag-ssp-237-m ... arbox-02t/

Just wondering a few things

1) This is the MQ200 gearbox, which has been used for ages by the VW group. I see the new MQ281 is now being produced since July, anybody know if newer cars will get a different gearbox?

2) Can anybody help me with the gear ratios for the T Cross 115hp 6 speed (Hope this is in the user manual, as I cant find it anywhere else, and vehicle delivery only in Jan)
Am looking for all ratios, 1st to 6th, reverse and final drive - Would like to do a rpm vs speed chart

For the guys with DSG boxes, you can search the above site for the SSP on this box, and if doing a diesel, its most probably the MQ250 box due to higher torque of engine

Thanks in advance if anyone can help with gear ratios

arkay

Re: Tech info for gearheads

Post by arkay » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi gavinvanpopering and welcome! I am really glad you asked that because I have been meaning to post this info because it is very interesting. Amazingly the gearbox ratios are very evenly spaced for the 6 speed manual on the T-Cross. At 2000rpm in 1st gear the speed is 10mph, in 2nd gear speed is 20 mph, 3rd gear is 30 mph, 4th gear is 40 mph, 5th gear is 50 mph and yes you guessed it, 6th gear at 2000 rpm shows 60 mph! Haven’t measured reverse/final drive.

The gearbox mates with the gearbox really well. 2000 rpm is the start of the maximum torque curve so I try to keep the car spinning at 2000 rpm at least as much as possible. I have found that keeping the revs up actually helps with fuel economy. After 5 brim to brim tankfuls I am now getting just over 50 mpg. I have now done just over 2300 miles.

So in summary gear ratios are: 1st 5 mph/1000 rpm, 2nd 10 mph/1000rpm, 3rd 15 mph/1000 rpm, 4th 20 mph/1000 rpm, 5th 25 mph/1000 rpm, 6th 30 mph/1000 rpm. I am really amazed by these figures. I find myself driving by using the rev counter more in this car by keeping the revs up.
T-Cross SEL manual 115PS ordered 7/3/19. Extras: Deep Black Pearl, folding door mirrors, winter pack and rear view camera. Car was built 15/4/19 - delivery due mid May. Handover was on Monday 3rd June.

gavinvanpopering

Post by gavinvanpopering » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:26 am

Thanks for feedback

Did some scouting around, and found following ratios (From Seat Arona, Leon, Ateca, all the same)

1st 3,769
2nd 1,955
3rd 1,281
4th 0,973
5th 0,778
6th 0,642

Final 4,056
Reverse 3,181

Ratios.JPG

Using below website, did a speed vs rpm graph

https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-geareng.aspx

Speed vs Rpm.JPG

This looks to line up exactly with your observations, so think we have this one worked out

For those that drive cars hard, max rpm, the graph looks a bit different (ignore 6th, think top speed is in 5th at max power)

Red line.JPG

Hope this is all of interest, have a great weekend

Gavin

arkay

Post by arkay » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:51 pm

Very impressive Gavin! I was relieved to see that your neat calculations more or less confirm my direct observations.

The longer I own this car the more impressed I am. It is the perfect size for my wife and myself. It has just enough oomph if you floor the throttle to get you past. The gearbox/engine is very forgiving - neither of us has stalled it yet amazingly. The refinement is welcome - no squeaks or rattles (yet!) and road/wind noise is low. Mind you I am glad the car is shod with Continental tyres which probably helps in this regard.
T-Cross SEL manual 115PS ordered 7/3/19. Extras: Deep Black Pearl, folding door mirrors, winter pack and rear view camera. Car was built 15/4/19 - delivery due mid May. Handover was on Monday 3rd June.