Space saver wheel for R line

New to the Volkswagen T-Cross Forums? Introduce yourself here
Jonblue

Space saver wheel for R line

Post by Jonblue » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:48 am

I am being told by dealer there is no space saver wheel for 18 inch R line cars.. I find this incredible if true. I have a Beats soundpack. Any comments appreciated.

DSG 115 auto R line in Turquouse with folding mirrors, rear reverse camera, active display

Hobbit

Re: Space saver wheel for R line

Post by Hobbit » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:13 am

I think your salesperson is possibly mistaken. You can add a spare wheel to R Line configurator alongside Beats.
DSG 1.0 SEL urano
Folding Mirrors, WinterPack, Headlight Assist
Active Display, Rear Camera, Park Assist, Beats.
Ordered 8/9/19
Build Week confirmed 21/10/19

IWRA

Post by IWRA » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:38 am

The configurator says that a spare wheel is not available as an option if you have the Beats sound pack. I don't understand why as the sub-woofer sits on top to the side of the wheel well. Can anyone confirm they have both.
2019 T-Cross First Edition

Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:03 am

This is what my dealer quoted - 'you cannot put space saver because they are coming only in 16” where your car has got the 18” wheels. The only option is to get the same alloy and tyre which will cost you just under £1000.

Is he having me on -- it's a T Cross - not a Ferrari!

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:51 am

The spare wheel is a 16 inch rim with a profile tyre big enough to match up with the 18 inch wheels when you have to use it have a look at the other topic on the forum re spare wheel think that will answer your question.
Black T Cross R Line DSG
Winter Pack, Running Boards, Reversing Camera, Spare Wheel, Electric Folding Wing Mirrors
Ex Demonstrator.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:56 am

Just further on your issue I don’t think that anyone there has the beats system ,I don’t , but read somewhere it may still be possible to do but you would have to disconnect the beats to get the wheel in and out, but doing so may affect the warranty?
Black T Cross R Line DSG
Winter Pack, Running Boards, Reversing Camera, Spare Wheel, Electric Folding Wing Mirrors
Ex Demonstrator.

VWJohn

Post by VWJohn » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:08 am

I have an R line and purchased a space saver off Ebay. You need to check that the outside diameter of the tyre on the space saver is same or very close to the original alloy. There are numerous sites which enable you to feed in info for both wheels/tyres to get a comparison. I paid under £50 for this - it was new but very dirty, so once cleaned up, is absolutely fine. I think it was originally from a Seat. You will need to check the space saver's PCD and that its also 5 stud. Mine was 5x100 18"SPACE SAVER 125/70/R18 and it fits fine.
R-Line auto in Champagne Silver (looks more like Gold to me!) Folding door mirrors; Winter pack; Keyless entry.

Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi. I have just found this on a Manchester wheel supplier website although they are currently out of stock.

VOLKSWAGEN T-CROSS 2019-PRESENT DAY 18" SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL + TOOL KIT
18" SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL AND TYRE VOLKSWAGEN T-CROSS - £135 contrary to what dealer said so I just need to check and see if it will fit despite Beats sound system at side of wheel storage area.

marius07

Post by marius07 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:55 am

First Edition models come with 18 inch wheels, a beats subwoofer and a 16 inch spare.
So it can absolutely be done. I guess the size of the spare is about the same with the 18 inch wheel.
T-Cross First Edition

Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:26 am

Not sure what you mean Marius when you say a First Edition with a Beats subwoofer comes with a 16 inch wheel. Surely you mean an 18 inch space saver wheel