Water in rear footwells

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Cross
Topcat

Water in rear footwells

Post by Topcat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:22 pm

Just gone out to my vehicle to find water in both rear foot wells appears to be coming from the top edge of the door seals where it meets the roof, then running around the door edge to the bottom edge of the door in the seal and on to the rear rubber mats. It’s been windy and very wet so wether it’s a one off or more of a problem I am not sure.

One thing I have noticed is that water on the roof when opening the rear doors does drip into the bottom edge of the double door seal, even so the carpet appears all dry!
Black T Cross R Line DSG
Winter Pack, Running Boards, Reversing Camera, Spare Wheel, Electric Folding Wing Mirrors
Ex Demonstrator.

Halin9

Re: Water in rear footwells

Post by Halin9 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Mmm..that's not good..! Shouldn't leak if the door and windows are properly shut. A number of cars drip water from the top of doors when opened, bad design, but should be waterproof when closed up. Definitely worth a visit to your VW dealer..

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:23 pm

I agree worth a chat with the dealer however when the rear doors are open water from the roof does drip inside the vehicle especially when it’s been stood for a while as you say a design fault.
Black T Cross R Line DSG
Winter Pack, Running Boards, Reversing Camera, Spare Wheel, Electric Folding Wing Mirrors
Ex Demonstrator.

cyclon

Post by cyclon » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:39 am

Topcat wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:23 pm
I agree worth a chat with the dealer however when the rear doors are open water from the roof does drip inside the vehicle especially when it’s been stood for a while as you say a design fault.
Do you have any news about the water ingress?
I was about to order my T-Cross when i saw your post and now i am very worried about this incident!
I am referring not to the poor design concerning opened doors but to the water ingress while doors had being closed!!

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi Cyclon strangely not had the problem again since I reported it can only think I had it parked on a steep incline and at the time it was poring down and a strong wind hopefully a one off.
Black T Cross R Line DSG
Ex Demonstrator.

cyclon

Post by cyclon » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:35 pm

I really hope it was one off !!! :)
One thing I cannot understand is how water got in to the cabin, seal / weatherstrip should have kept it out!
When it rains hard is natural for water to run all around the doors behind the outer rubber strips (mostly for sound proofing) but never get pass through the wide seal / weatherstrip that goes all around the "casing" on the body!
I saw that in your signature you refer to "ex demonstrator" is this for your car?
Pls inform me if this is the case.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi Cyclon yes my car is an ex demonstrator, what I have noticed on the rear doors is when you open them with the water on the roof, the top inside edge of the doors has a small amount of water on it as you open them ,whether as there was a lot of water sitting on the roof it drips onto the inside edge and then to the bottom of the door inner edge as you open it, I am uncertain however there was a lot of water sat on the roof as I had previously just waxed the entire car. As I previously said it’s only happened once.
Black T Cross R Line DSG
Ex Demonstrator.

cyclon

Post by cyclon » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:26 am

So you were talking about water drips ...
I thought you found pools of water!
That's good to know!
In any case I think you should check weatherstrips with the dealership, as many people tend to check this area (one of them is me ..) for possibly bad design, some of them tend to overdo it with these strips (that's not me .. .).
I've seen a lot of demonstration cars (and on high quality cars ...) with rather poorly fitted weatherstrips!
Funny thing, if you consider these to be demo cars and should be at their best!

Tip: Better to avoid cars that have bare weatherstrips on the upper door lining as they tend to degrade and you should replace them from much more often as a consumable ... (I should have known....)