Plastic Trim Covering Sills

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
greycross

Plastic Trim Covering Sills

Post by greycross » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:49 pm

Has anyone else noticed damage to the plastic trim covering the sills just in front of the rear Wheels ?

It looks like they take a battering from stones thrown up, maybe from as far forward as the front wheels ?

The plastic bit I mean is covering the sills literally just inches in front of the rear wheels.

My T-Cross has the same damage on both sides..

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing ?
T-Cross SEL 1.0 TSI 6-speed Manual Limestone Grey
Usual SEL kit plus, Active Info, Keyless, Rear Camera, Folding Mirrors & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 25th April 2019
Confirmed Build Week 10th June
Car at Dealers 15th July
Car Collected 1st August 2019

aglaisma

Re: Plastic Trim Covering Sills

Post by aglaisma » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:03 pm

Any photos?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:11 pm

greycross wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:49 pm
Has anyone else noticed damage to the plastic trim covering the sills just in front of the rear Wheels ?

It looks like they take a battering from stones thrown up, maybe from as far forward as the front wheels ?

The plastic bit I mean is covering the sills literally just inches in front of the rear wheels.

My T-Cross has the same damage on both sides..

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing ?
You’ve got mud flaps fitted, aren’t they supposed to protect the sills against such damage? If the mud flaps were a bit longer they would offer better protection. Have you mentioned this problem to VW?
T-Cross R-Line 1.0L DSG
Limestone Grey
Rear View Camera - Electric Folding Mirrors - Park Assist
Spacesaver Spare Wheel
Re-ordered 16/10/19

greycross

Post by greycross » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:04 pm

aglaisma wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:03 pm
Any photos?
Damage is probably a too stronger word, it is more like a pebble dash finish !!

I have applied some diluted CarPro Perl on it but this one place definitely looks different to the rest of the plastic along the doors and sills.

I think it is almost certainly taking a bashing from stones..

2020-02-08 11.05.49.jpg

Usual SEL kit plus, Active Info, Keyless, Rear Camera, Folding Mirrors & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 25th April 2019
Car at Dealers 15th July

greycross

Post by greycross » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:08 pm

MikeB wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:11 pm
You’ve got mud flaps fitted, aren’t they supposed to protect the sills against such damage? If the mud flaps were a bit longer they would offer better protection. Have you mentioned this problem to VW?
Yep, I do have mud flaps fitted, but they are not very big, not as good as I had expected..

This was part of the reason that I asked the question, as I do wonder if the front flaps (albeit 1.5 metres in front) play some kind of part in changing the aerodynamics causing a different path for stones and grit thrown up ?

It will be interesting to see if anyone else has a similar pebble dash finish in the same place, with or out mud flaps.
Ordered 25th April 2019
Car at Dealers 15th July

aglaisma

Post by aglaisma » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:21 pm

Why don't you try to remove the front mud flaps to see if this continues? Mine, without mud flaps, after 350km has just some mud(no sign of stone chips)

silverhairs

Post by silverhairs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:08 pm

One thing that's not been asked is "what type of road surface do you drive on, has the council done any resurfacing in the area?
Every now and again, the council round here, put a thin coating of tar down then cover it with chippings, week later come round with a road sweeper and gather up all the loose chippings, but in the mean time can be thrown up by the front wheels.

Digitalracer

Post by Digitalracer » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:34 pm

My road was surface dressed 2 years ago and stones are still getting brought indoors on shoe soles!!
What about having a clear plastic protective film stuck on the sill, similar to that fitted to the front of the wheel arch on some cars?
SEL DSG Energetic orange, keyless entry, folding mirrors, auto headlights, chrome strip on boot, spacesaver and 17" Clayton alloys. Ordered 25th July, expected delivery 30th September. Collection mid October.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:44 am

I don't seem to have suffered this problem quite as much as i have running boards, not through choice but were on the vehicle when i brought it.
Black T Cross R Line DSG
Winter Pack, Running Boards, Reversing Camera, Spare Wheel, Electric Folding Wing Mirrors
Ex Demonstrator.