Beam Deflectors

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
VWJohn

Beam Deflectors

Post by VWJohn » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:38 pm

Anyone had to fit beam convertors for continental driving?

I have R line with LED headlights and have read that it is not necessary to fit beam deflectors.

Any advice would be welcome.
R-Line auto in Champagne Silver (looks more like Gold to me!) Folding door mirrors; Winter pack; Keyless entry.

Tricky2

Re: Beam Deflectors

Post by Tricky2 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:29 pm

I too have the R Line, and thought no problem it's got the top line LED headlights. Checked in the manual and it refers to travel mode on page 86. However, just been through the car menu's and can't see it anywhere!
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:58 pm

Don’t think the dipping function is on the T Cross but it was definitely on the T Roc I handed back.
Black T Cross R Line DSG
Winter Pack, Running Boards, Reversing Camera, Spare Wheel, Electric Folding Wing Mirrors
Ex Demonstrator.

Drw

Post by Drw » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:50 am

I have LED, the manual says:-
If you have to drive a right-hand drive vehicle in a left-hand drive country, or vice versa, the asymmetric dipped beam headlights may dazzle oncoming traffic. The headlights must therefore be switched over when you travel to these countries.

With some equipment levels, the headlight alignment can be adjusted in the Infotainment system in the Vehicle settings menu Vehicle settings menu.

In vehicles in which the headlights cannot be switched over in the menu, masking stickers should be applied to certain parts of the headlight lenses, or the headlights should be adjusted by a qualified workshop. A qualified workshop can provide you with further information. Volkswagen recommends using a Volkswagen dealership for this purpose.

There is no option in the menu, I checked with TravelSpot who make the Eurolite stickers & they believe that beam reflectors will be needed & for my lights they recommend position 4 on their diagrams.
T Cross SEL DSG Champagne Silver
Active Info, Folding Mirrors, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Spare Wheel
Ordered 15/4/19; Stage 3 - 30/7/19 Build Week 36
Stage 5a 10/9/19 ; Stage 6 2/10/19; Collected 14/10/19

VWJohn

Post by VWJohn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:54 am

That's very useful. Thanks. Have raised it with dealer and am awaiting their response. Will post this, once available.
R-Line auto in Champagne Silver (looks more like Gold to me!) Folding door mirrors; Winter pack; Keyless entry.

Drw

Post by Drw » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:59 pm

I would be interested in what your dealer says. I did try and get an answer from mine & got the following which I don't treat as definitive !
I haven’t been able to get anything definitive about the lights, there is no way of adjusting them and everything and everyone I have spoken to seem to suggest there is no need to adjust them when driving in Europe but I cannot find anything in writing to back that up and I have even checked online forums.

From discussing this with people the fact that there isn’t an adjustment should mean they are ok when driving in Europe.

VWJohn

Post by VWJohn » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:44 pm

OK here is what the dealer has received back from VW - the LED lights will automatically change to dip the other way, once the car drives onto the continent. This is achieved through the Sat Nav/GPS making appropriate changes to the beam pattern. The dealer has suggested that the Sat Nav should be updated, via memory card, to the latest version.

So, will be along the dealer, prior to going to France in mid April to get Sat Nav. updated. Have asked for a copy of the information from VW, so I can get a translation into French, which should the change over not work, will have something to hand, should I be stopped.

All the above sounds feasible, but obviously I cannot verify it until we are in France!

I also point out that as far as I am aware, this is specifically for cars with LED headlights (R-Line)

SauceyBean

Post by SauceyBean » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:25 am

If push comes to shove and you don't have the options in your infotainment system you could always just stick something like this https://www.racshop.co.uk/headlamp-beam ... he-eu.html on and go at it olde school. Haven't had a look for the setting in my car yet though, do we know which spec levels the setting actually comes with?

Drw

Post by Drw » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:34 am

VWJohn wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:44 pm
OK here is what the dealer has received back from VW - the LED lights will automatically change to dip the other way, once the car drives onto the continent. This is achieved through the Sat Nav/GPS making appropriate changes to the beam pattern. The dealer has suggested that the Sat Nav should be updated, via memory card, to the latest version.
If that is really true then that is good news. Re the satnav update, is that just the map update or something else ? The sel has led plus satnav so may be ok on that as well.

Re the colour of Champagne silver, it is called Pale Copper elsewhere and that is a better description for the colour !
T Cross SEL DSG Champagne Silver
Active Info, Folding Mirrors, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Spare Wheel
Ordered 15/4/19; Stage 3 - 30/7/19 Build Week 36

VWJohn

Post by VWJohn » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:16 am

I believe that the sat nav update, via memory card, is an update only. System will read and then add and/or overwrite existing data.

Expect that the sat nav and screen unit may be older than the car and consequently not up to date. Had this with a LR Discovery 4. When the dealer checked the version, of the as fitted system, it indicated that it was some 18mths out of date, when the car was delivered!

Pale copper is much nearer the mark!