Few questions about rear view camera.

All Volkswagen T-Cross related discussions
Jacket

Few questions about rear view camera.

Post by Jacket » Mon May 04, 2020 5:55 am

Hey guys. My T-Cross came without a rearview camera, so I recently had one retrofitted. It's a 3rd party camera, of course because the dealer is asking a crazy amount of money to retrofit the official. I have two questions for you guys who have the stock Rear View package.

1. Do you have moving guidelines when you reverse or just the static ones?
2. Can you activate the camera when stationary, but not in reverse by pressing the P button? Mine only activates the Park Pilot, and the camera button is grayed out. I was expecting that I will be able to activate it, but it looks like this is only possible in reverse.
3. Because the camera replaces the boot handle, the new one requires a lot more effort to open the boot. The original handle popped the boot practically with a light touch and you could feel the soft rubber button. This one requires quite a squeeze and is hard to the touch. Is the original handle with camera soft and light to open the boot?

Thanks!

Tricky2

Re: Few questions about rear view camera.

Post by Tricky2 » Mon May 04, 2020 8:59 am

Hi there, we had the factory fitted camera, so here are my observations.

1, No the lines don't move. There's a whole thread about this if you perform a search, but the camera on the cross the lines are static.

2. No you can't manually activate the camera, OK we don't have park pilot, but I do on my Tiguan with the camera, and the only way to bring on the camera is by selecting reverse.

3. Our handle is as you describe the original, soft rubbery feel and a light squeeze to activate. Your aftermarket may have added their own handle camera assembly, one of the cost saving measures over the VW fitting.
R-line 115 DSG in energetic orange with reversing camera and keyless

I have Tiguan 2015 177ps 4motion DSG

Jacket

Post by Jacket » Mon May 04, 2020 9:13 am

Thanks for the reply! I tried searching, but the forum didn't like the term "camera"...
So everything is as it should be. :) I guess the handle is not as well made as the OEM one, but you can't have everything. Other than that the build quality is very good and the image is crisp. I don't like that the rear bumper isn't completely visible (only the edges), but I saw that even OEM cameras are like this. I've had a Nissan Qashqai with a rear camera and the rear bumper was completely visible. It's very confidence inspiring when reversing into very tight spaces.
So other than that, I'm very happy with the retrofit. It's now only missing Park Assist to be a fully spec'd R-Line ;) I don't think I need that anyway.

Halin9

Post by Halin9 » Mon May 04, 2020 5:21 pm

As Tricky2 says.....the official camera, I think, is excellent, very clear and really useful. The lines are static, but that doesn't seem to matter.. What sort of cost was yours.?

Jacket

Post by Jacket » Mon May 04, 2020 8:40 pm

It was about 220 EUR fitted, but prices here are quite different. For comparison, when you spec the car it's about the same, but for retrofit they asked about 5 times more in the official dealership. I don't know what's the brand. It looks exactly the same as the original, though the handle is a bit stiffer as I said. Here's the image:

IMG_4491.jpeg

I actually opted out from the static lines at all, because I don't find them particularly useful. I didn't know they come from the camera itself and not from the car software.
Overall very happy with this. It makes reversing a lot safer, especially with children running around in the parking lot.